Farmers market resources
Helpful resources for farmer's markets in Cedar County
- MU Extension publication G6223, Starting and Operating a Farmers Market: Frequently Asked Questions — Covers a wide variety of issues to make a market successful and legal
- MU Extension publication MP906, Community Gardening Toolkit — Resources to help those interested in starting a community garden
- MU Extension publication G6222, Selling Strategies for Local Food Producers
- MU Extension publication G6221, Marketing Vegetables in Missouri
- AgSquared — Record-keeping software tailor-made for small farms. See Missouri Beginning Farming's review of AgSquared.
- USDA Farmers Marketing Fact Sheets — Many resources for growers wanting to direct-market their products
- Whole Animal Buying Guide for Consumers — This Iowa State University Extension and Outreach publication explains buying pork and beef as whole animals (or portions thereof) from local producers. Covers marketing terms, information on storage and handling, meat inspection, meat cut out weight, and includes color photos of common retail beef and pork cuts.
- "Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food" Program (PDF) — A USDA-wide effort with case studies about better connecting consumers with local producers.
- Farmers Market Terminal Prices — USDA listing of current wholesale prices for fruits and vegetables
Food safety and defense
- MU Extension publication MP914, Food Defense: Protecting the Food Supply from Intentional Harm — This guide helps train food producers, processors and retailers to minimize the risk of intentional contamination of the food supply by developing a food defense plan for their operation. Food defense is not the same as food safety or biosecurity, which both mean protecting the food supply from unintentional contamination.
Laws and regulations
- FAQs for Sales by Farmers at Farmers Markets — Answers about sales taxes from Missouri Department of Revenue
- Guide to U.S. Organic Certifiers — Select and compare those who do organic certification and the kinds of services they provide
- Missouri Department of Revenue Form 149: Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF)
- Missouri Revised Statute 261-241: Sellers of honey — Health standards exemption and labeling requirements
Market directories and associations
- AgriMissouri Buyer's Guide — A Missouri Department of Agriculture outreach program that promotes Missouri-grown and Missouri-made items, representing food and non-food products, retailers, farmers markets, agritourism and agricultural experience destinations
- Mid-America Organic Association — Lists news, events, resources and a buyer's guide for organic products in Missouri
- Missouri Farmers Market Directory — Search for the Missouri farmers market nearest you
- Farmers Market Online — Market your home-crafted and home-grown products online
- National Farmers Markets Directory — Searchable USDA listing of contact information for farmers' markets throughout the U.S.
- Identifying Diseases of Vegetables — Pennsylvania State University reference book that is applicable to Missouri
- Bugs and Other Insects from the State of Missouri — Insect identification database
- Insects in Kansas — Kansas Department of Agriculture reference book that is applicable to Missouri
- Midwest Vegetable Production Guide for Commercial Growers
- Midwest Fruit Pest Management Guide
- Spotted Wing Drosophila monitoring (PDF)
- Spotted Wing Drosophila detection and control (PDF)
- Stop Brown Marmorated Stink Bug — The site includes information on how to identify the stink bug, where it has been found, and steps to help manage this bug that damages a huge range of fruit, vegetable and ornamental crops.
Product handling and storage
- The Commercial Storage of Fruits, Vegetables, and Florist and Nursery Stocks (PDF) — USDA Ag Handbook #66 is a 130-page guide that discusses factors that affect the maintenance of quality during cold storage
- Small-Scale Postharvest Practices: A Manual for Horticultural Crops (PDF) — A 267-page manual of postharvest practices for a variety of crops, published by the University of California-Davis Postharvest Technology Research and Information Center
- Cool Storage Reduces Produce Losses — Tips on building small-scale cold-storage structures
- Low-Cost Cold Storage Room for Market Growers — A 4-page design guide from the University of Kentucky
- Small-Scale Cold Rooms for Perishable Commodities (PDF) — A 11-page design guide from the University of California-Davis
- On-Farm Cold Storage of Fall-Harvested Fruit and Vegetable Crops (PDF) — An 8-page overview of an 84-page University of Wisconsin handbook