Career opportunities with MU Extension
Working for MU Extension
Be a leader
In an ever-changing world, University of Missouri Extension is leading the way to help Missourians meet the challenges of the 21st century – competing in a global marketplace, balancing the responsibilities of work and family, protecting natural resources, adapting new technologies and creating supportive communities.
With University of Missouri Extension, you are part of a statewide and nationwide network that transforms research results into real-world solutions for agriculture, businesses, communities, families and young people. University of Missouri Extension allows you the flexibility and freedom to define your role and set your priorities.
Our specialists, located in more than 100 communities across the state, work side-by-side with local people to solve problems, make decisions, access resources and chart a course for success. As a regional specialist, you are a faculty member of the University of Missouri with expertise and research available from campuses in Columbia, Kansas City, Rolla and St. Louis at your fingertips to support you. In addition, we work collaboratively with our land-grant partner, Lincoln University, to meet the educational aspirations of people living throughout Missouri.
University of Missouri Extension receives strong support from the University of Missouri's governing body, the Board of Curators.
In joining our organization, you can experience work that has meaning and purpose. Together, we can share the satisfaction of making Missouri a better place to live and work.
Knowledge is University of Missouri Extension's biggest asset, and we believe in continual investment in training to keep our people on the cutting edge. We offer first-rate professional development training to give you the latest tools and skills to get the job done. Opportunities to expand your knowledge and skills are available the moment you join University of Missouri Extension and continue throughout your career.
You receive up-to-date training in your field as well as opportunities to grow personally. Each faculty member writes an individual development plan to build on strengths and expand knowledge.
Professional development with University of Missouri Extension takes many forms:
- New faculty orientation
- Scheduled professional and personal development experiences
- Individualized and specialized professional development, including international experiences and attendance at national meetings
- Study leave to pursue an advanced degree for ranked faculty
- Tuition assistance for graduate education
- Leadership training
- Internships and externship
Find your place
University of Missouri Extension knows there's more to who you are than your career. As a regional specialist, you are part of the community — living and working alongside your neighbors.
We know that lifestyle, family and personal interests are important considerations when making career decisions.
Whether your tastes run to the simplicity of rural living, the excitement of city life or somewhere in between, you will find your place here in Missouri. In addition, you will enjoy a cost of living that is among the lowest in the nation.
Finding current positions available
Applications must be submitted through the online process. Open Extension positions can be found by going to https://hr.missouri.edu/job-openings and taking the following steps:
- Select the type of position you are seeking (executive, academic, staff or temporary (non-benefit eligible).
- Select "prospective employees" if you are not a current MU employee, or "current employees" if you are a current employee.
- Select "view all jobs."
- Enter "Extension" in the Search Jobs criteria box.
- At the top right of the page, select the sort button and sort by job title.
- Scroll down to the job titles that start with "Extension."
- Current MU employees must go through MyHR to complete the application process.
- For questions about the on-line application process, call 573-882-7976.
- For technical support using the application system, call the MU Help Desk at 573-882-5000.
- To check the status of position searches, call 573-882-4722.