Urban West Region
Free tax preparation
The IRS offers free basic tax return preparation to people who qualify through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs.
You qualify if you earn $58,000 or less, or if you are 60 years of age or older. Our programs also serve taxpayers with disabilities or limited English.
The tax season is Jan. 24–April 18, 2022. This year our services are available by appointment, in-person or virtually. To schedule, call United Way 2-1-1 or 816-474-5112. Please follow these instructions for your appointment.
A volunteer can prepare your return or you can use our free software to prepare your own. To get access to the software – called TaxSlayer FSA – taxpayers who make $73K or less can call United Way 211 to register for our online Q&A session over video chat. Free software is also available through United Way and My Free Taxes.
The University of Missouri Extension sponsors these programs, in partnership with agencies in the KC Metro Tax Coalition.
- Catholic Charities of NE Kansas
- Community Services League
- The Don Bosco Center
- El Centro, Inc
- Farview Neighborhood Library
- Guadalupe Centers
- Holy Rosary Credit Union
- KCK Community College
- K-State Extension
- Local Investment Commission (LINC)
- Metropolitan Community College
- Operation Breakthrough
- PCs for People (Connecting for Good)
- Quindaro neighborhood & Wilson’s Pizza and Grill
- Rockhurst University
- Salvation Army
- Shepherd's Center
- Unified Government – Livable Neighborhoods
- United Way of Greater Kansas City
- University of Missouri Extension
- University of Missouri Kansas City