- Registration is closed at this time. Our volunteers are currently working on off season returns. Once we have finished with the work we already have, we will try to help as many new clients as possible. Please check back for updates. You can request an extension until October 15 – please visit the IRS website for more details.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Do you need help with your taxes?
The IRS offers free basic tax return preparation to people who qualify through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
You qualify if you and the people in your household earn $57,000 or less.
Even if you earn more, there may be other resources available to you. Register below for more details.
If you live in Kansas City - Missouri or Kansas - we can help you. If you want information about other tax sites in the area, call United Way 211 or visit the IRS website to find a location that can serve you.
Our program is operated by the Kansas City Metro Tax Coalition, a partnership that includes:
- University of Missouri Extension
- United Way of Greater Kansas City
- PCs for People (Connecting for Good)
- Community Services League
- El Centro, Inc.
- Guadalupe Centers
- Holy Rosary Credit Union
- Kansas City Kansas Community College
- K-State Extension
- Local Investment Commision (LINC)
- Metropolitian Community College
- Operation Breakthrough
- Rockhurst University
- Salvation Army
- University of Missouri - Kansas City
VITA goes virtual
Before the pandemic, volunteers and taxpayers met at a VITA location. People could walk in or make an appointment for services. It will be different this year.
This year – to protect the health of everyone who participates – the VITA program will be virtual.
Going virtual means that face-to-face communication will be limited or unavailable. Information will be exchanged by phone, fax, mail, email, video conference, and file sharing.
Volunteer with VITA
Here are the top four reasons people choose to volunteer with VITA.
- Help people in a BIG way
- If it weren't for VITA, people might miss out on valuable opportunities. A volunteer explained how she met someone who did not know about the Missouri Property Tax Credit and helped her recover money for the past three years. "She was beside herself with appreciation and was so gracious." Other taxpayers have called VITA a blessing and said volunteers are, "a lifeline to people in the community".
- Meet people and have fun
- Volunteering with VITA can give you an opportunity to be social! Many of our volunteers have become friends. Volunteers have also said how much they appreciate building relationships with clients and being trusted to do their taxes year after year.
- Exercise your brain
- Strengthen your skills or learn something new. Volunteers receive training and certification. Instructor Andrew Zumwalt earned top ratings from volunteers last year with his funny and easy-to-understand approach. One person said, "I've attended training for 10+ years and this was by far the best!"
- Earn continuing education credits
- The VITA/TCE program can provide up to 18 credits for the following professionals: Enrolled Agents (EAs), non-credentialed tax return preparers (AFSP), and Certified Financial Planners (CFP). Attorneys and Certified Public Accountants could also qualify, depending on state licensing and/or national board requirements.
We appreciate the professionals that donate their time to VITA, but you don't have to be a tax expert to support our cause. We need people in many roles:
- Are you friendly and outgoing? Greet taxpayers, answer questions, and return messages.
- Are you good at dotting the i's and crossing the t's? Collect and organize paperwork.
- Do you like puzzles and problem-solving? Prepare tax returns.
- Are you a tech whiz? Coach people on how to use equipment and apps or analyze data.
- Are you passionate about social justice? Empower people through financial capability.
Your Civil Rights Are Protected
VITA/TCE Free Tax Programs