The IRS offers free basic tax preparation to people who qualify through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs.

You qualify if you earn less than $64,000 (for VITA) or if you are 60 years of age or older (for TCE). Our programs also serve taxpayers with disabilities or limited English.

A volunteer can prepare your return at one of our local tax sites or you can prepare your own return online using free software.

Filing in-person at a tax site:

For your appointment, you must have a government issued photo ID for yourself (and your spouse) and social security cards (or ITINS) for everyone in the household. If you are married-filing-jointly, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

In order to prepare an accurate tax return, volunteers will need to see documents showing your income, expenses, and other information. Please be ready with these documents.

Please do not schedule if you don't have these items ready OR you are not eligible for services. If you arrive without the necessary items, volunteers will not be able to prepare your return.

For more information, please refer to these instructions for your appointment.

Book an appointment with a volunteer

If appointments are fully booked, join our contact list and we will update you if appointments become available.

Filing your own return online:

MyFreeTaxes is an online service brought to you by United Way where you can prepare and file your own federal and state taxes, completely for free. If you get stuck, United Way provides support through phone, email or text to help you complete your return. Use this helpful PDF to organize your documents before you get started preparing your taxes: Tax Organization Worksheet for Using MyFree Taxes Site or Coach (PDF). Click the button below to go to the MyFreeTaxes site where you can find additional details.

Learn more about filing online using MyFreeTaxes

Taxes due by April 15th

The tax season is January 29th through April 15th. There are multiple locations in the Kansas City area. Each tax site works differently. Most sites ask taxpayers to make an appointment. To find the best fit for you, call United Way 2-1-1 or 816-474-5112.

Kansas City Metropolitan Tax Coalition

The University of Missouri Extension sponsors the tax programs in partnership with agencies in the KC Metro Tax Coalition.

  • Avenue of Life
  • Belton Senior Center
  • Community Services League
  • Credit & Homeownership Empowerment Services Inc.
  • El Centro, Inc
  • Guadalupe Centers
  • KC Shepherd’s Center
  • KCK Community College
  • K-State Extension
  • Liberty Silver Center
  • Local Investment Commission (LINC)
  • LTX Tax Services
  • Metropolitan Community College
  • Operation Breakthrough
  • Palmer Center
  • Rockhurst University
  • The Whole Person
  • United Way of Greater Kansas City
  • University of Missouri Extension
  • University of Missouri Kansas City
VITA volunteer tax preparer working with client
Pictured: VITA volunteer preparing a tax return.

Want to contribute?

We need money for practical things. For example, we provide every client with a copy of their tax return. If we print 25 pages per person, it takes five boxes of paper and eight toner cartridges to serve 1,000 people, at an estimated cost of $750. Donated funds are used for supplies, food for volunteers, and taxpayer education.