- Registration is closed at this time. Our volunteers are working to complete tax returns for everyone who registered. The IRS filing deadline is May 17. You can request an extension until October 15 – please visit the IRS website for more details. We anticipate re-opening for off season tax returns after a short break. Please check back for updates.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Do you need help with your taxes?
The IRS offers free basic tax return preparation to people who qualify through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
You qualify if you and the people in your household earn $57,000 or less.
Even if you earn more, there may be other resources available to you. Register below for more details.
If you live in Kansas City - Missouri or Kansas - we can help you. If you want information about other tax sites in the area, call United Way 211 or visit the IRS website to find a location that can serve you.
Our program is operated by the Kansas City Metro Tax Coalition, a partnership that includes:
- University of Missouri Extension
- United Way of Greater Kansas City
- PCs for People (Connecting for Good)
- Community Services League
- El Centro, Inc.
- Guadalupe Centers
- Holy Rosary Credit Union
- Kansas City Kansas Community College
- K-State Extension
- Metropolitian Community College
- Operation Breakthrough / Rockhurst
- Salvation Army
VITA goes virtual
Before the pandemic, volunteers and taxpayers met at a VITA location. People could walk in or make an appointment for services. It will be different this year.
This year – to protect the health of everyone who participates – the VITA program will be virtual.
Going virtual means that face-to-face communication will be limited or unavailable. Information will be exchanged by phone, fax, mail, email, video conference, and file sharing.
Your Civil Rights Are Protected
VITA/TCE Free Tax Programs