Note: MU Extension does not endorse commercial products.
Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory
The Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory analyzes soil, plant, water, manure, compost and greenhouse media. The laboratory provides quality testing and unbiased, research-based recommendations to clients for economically viable and environmentally safe nutrient management practices.
The fee-based services are available to farmers, homeowners, vegetable and fruit growers, lawn and landscape specialists, golf course managers, consultants, researchers and government agencies.
The services that we offer include:
- Analyzing soil for nutrient content and fertility status
- Providing recommendations for economical, environmentally safe and balanced fertilizer and lime applications
- Special soil tests for nutrient management plans and for addressing environmental issues
- Analyzing potting mixes for nursery growers
- Analyzing plant tissue for field crops, ornamentals, vegetables, fruits and turfs
- Compost testing
- Manure analysis
- Water testing for domestic, irrigation, poultry and livestock suitability
Videos about understanding and using soil test reports
Understanding soil tests
On-farm compost use
Using compost analyses and soil test reports to determine field application rates
Soil testing for growing success
For commercial horticultural soil test reports
pH and salinity management (for commercial horticulture)