Apply to be a Century Farm
The following guidelines are used for the selection and recognition of Missouri Century Farms.
- The same family must have owned the farm for 100 consecutive years or more as of Dec. 31, 2022.
- The line of ownership from the original settler or buyer may be through children, grandchildren, siblings and nephews and nieces, including through marriage or adoption.
- The present farm shall consist of no less than 40 acres of the original land and shall make a financial contribution to the overall farm income.
Application period is now open from Feb. 1–June 1, 2022 and you can apply through our online application process. A fee of $140 is required to cover processing costs, one certificate, a booklet and one two-sided, 2-foot by 2-foot metal sign for each approved farm (sign includes MU and Missouri Farm Bureau logos). Application deadline is June 1. Late applications cannot be accepted.
Information needed: Please have this information ready before you start the online application process. Here are some of the questions that will need to be answered:
- How many acres of the original acquisition are you qualifying as a Century Farm (40 acres minimum)?
- Does this tract contribute toward gross income of the owner(s) (rent counts as income)?
- List the name of the first family member to own the land and that person's relationship to the current owner(s).
- What documents exist that show original family ownership? MUST include one form of proof which may be deed, wills, land patents, abstract of title, grants, county land records, or other. Use the "Official Proof - Browse" button to select and upload a file.
- Optional attachments: Feel free to include an account of any special events held on the farm, unusual happenings, significant improvements, identifying landmarks, farm usage over the years, interesting information regarding the founder and any subsequent owner(s), and copies of pictures of special interest (include a short description). These materials will be passed on to your local MU Extension office and they may use them at your recognition or pass them along to your county historical society. Use the "Personal Records - Browse" button to select and upload a file.
On the application page, select the "Customize and Add to Cart" button, and complete and submit the application. Once submitted, this product will be placed in your shopping cart so you can proceed through checkout.
Additional signs or certificates
Application includes one certificate, one booklet and one yard sign. Once your new farm application has been approved, you can purchase additional yard signs or certificates at:
To order a replacement of the yard sign, see the Replacement sign page.
For more information
Please contact the Missouri Century Farms Coordinator at 573-882-7216 or [email protected]. If you need a printable version of the application, please contact the Coordinator.
MU Extension, MU College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, and the Farm Bureau jointly sponsor the Missouri Century Farms program. Local MU Extension Councils help with sponsorship by publicizing the program, collecting and certifying nominations, and arranging for local recognition. The Extension Web Services team coordinates the program.