Each year MU Extension in Camden County and the Camden County Farm Bureau selects a local farm family as the Farm Family of the Year to represent Camden County at the Missouri State Fair. The farm family chosen should meet the following criteria:
- Farm families who are actively engaged in agriculture and rely on University of Missouri Extension and the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources for their programming and technical assistance.
- Active supporters and cooperators with University of Missouri Extension
- Active in their community and in leadership roels with organizations such as Farm Bureau, church, school and other farm organizations.
- Actively involved or support youth organizations such as 4-H, FFA and other youth organizations.
- Respected by their neighbors and community for their leadership and engagement.
- The family is interested in attending and agrees to represent their county at the Missouri State Fair.
The annual event is a partnership of Missouri Farm Bureau, the Missouri Department of Agriculture, the Missouri State Fair and Commissioners, the University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, and University of Missouri Extension and Engagement.
All 114 of Missouri's counties nominated families this year, plus the City of St. Louis, with nearly 500 family members being honored from across the state. The event showcases the impact Missouri Farm Families have on the economy and heritage of our state. "These families are involved in agriculture activities in their communities, and are active participants in local outreach and extension," said Missouri State Fair Director Mark Wolfe. "As the showcase for Missouri agriculture, the Missouri State Fair is most certainly the appropriate place to celebrate these families."
2020 and 2021 Camden County Farm Family
Due to the pandemic the Farm Family was completely postponed until next year, due to the State Fair being cancelled. Both families (2020's family, Ryan & Holly Shoffner and 2021's family, Jason & Brittany Meads) will be co-farm families for 2021.
2020 Holly's Farm
We are please to announce that the 2020 Family Farm for Camden County is Holly's Farm - Ryan and Holly Shoffner. They live in Montreal, Mo.
2021 Brittany & Jason Meads
Their farm is self-made, as Brittany started it when she moved her in 2014 with just a dozen acres and a few cows. Brittany and Jason have been together since 2015 and they have two children, Paisley and Jacob.
Over the past five years, they have built their commercial herd to around 35 head and are proud to own over 100 acrews. They runa cow/calf operation with mostly spring calving cows. Anyone that knows them knows they love a good Hereford.
Camden County Farm Family recipients
- 2021: Brittany and Jason Meads
- 2020: Holly and Ryan Shoffner
- 2018: Jim and Beth Sherrell
- 2017: Clay and Melissa Kupfer
- 2016: Larry and Brooklyn White
- 2015: Steven and Pam Bunch
- 2014: Ernie and Christi Calvert
- 2013: Darren and Dana Harper
- 2012: Bill and Brenda Girard
- 2011: Barry and Lisa Leek
- 2010: Chuck and Pam Poe
- 2009: John and Bessie May Hix
- 2008: Brandon and Becca Witt
- 2007: Bill and Brenda Scott
- 2006: W.T. and Tori Carnes
- 2005: Jared and Tracy Morrow
- 2004: Mike and Renee Dyer
- 2003: Jeff and Tanya Apperson
- 2002: James and Tisha Holden
- 2001: Troy and Lynn Frederick
- 2000: Stacey and Heather Luttrell
- 1999: Terry and Kelly McDaniel
- 1998: Larry and Jana Cleveland
- 1997: Steve and Yetta McConnell
- 1996: Stephen and Sharon Arnold
- 1995: Doc and Beverly Nemer
- 1994: Earnest and Jane Calvert
- 1993: Tom and Debbie Carnes
- 1991: Randy and Rita Wall
- 1990: Tom and Naomi Breazeale
- 1989: Winford and Orene Ash