Stock healthy: Retailers
Food retailers of all sizes can play an important role in improving access to healthy foods in their communities.
Rural and urban stores are part of the economic and social fabric of a community. A part of everyday life, they not only provide provisions to their customers but also fulfill many other roles – as a community builder, employer, economic force and gathering place. Food retailers of all sizes can play an important role in improving access to healthy foods.
Retailers are part of the supply and demand puzzle. While community building is happening outside of the store to build demand for healthy foods, retailers are making minor modifications, adding new healthy inventory, and/or developing customer loyalty programs. All of this relates to the supply side of the model.
Benefits for retailers to participate in Stock Healthy, Shop Healthy:
- New products and more variety attract new customers.
- Healthy foods can yield high profit margins.
- Prominently displayed healthy foods can increase sales.
- Friendly relationships with customers and community can increase store loyalty.
- Build stronger relationships with current and new customers.
The Stock Healthy, Shop Healthy: Retailer Toolkit provides ideas on how the retailer and community partners can work together to build consumer demand and to increase the amount of healthy foods sold.
The Retailer Toolkit can help you as a small food retailer to:
- Identify goals and strategies for increasing sales of healthy foods.
- Strategically price and display healthy foods.
- Promote and market healthy foods in your community.
- Attract and keep loyal customers.
- Build partnerships with community organizations that will support your efforts and promote your store.