Show Me Neighborhood Art Week
Show Me Neighborhood Art Week is open to any resident of Missouri. This outreach effort by University of Missouri Extension and Creating Whole Communities seeks to empower public art made by residents as a contribution to the area’s sense of place where they live.
All Missourians are encouraged to participate by creating art using materials available at home to create art (like yard sculptures, chalk art projects, painted stones or murals, etc.) in the front of their residence or shared space in their neighborhood.
This project is about expressing creativity, no matter the skill level.
The inspiration for this statewide effort came from a program, LAWN (Lawn Art With Neighbors), launched in Springfield, Missouri in 2020 and organized by Sculpture Walk Springfield, Springfield Art Museum, Missouri State University: Art + Design Department, and Greene County MU Extension Council.
Show-Me Neighborhood Art Week will kick off with an online celebration that will include unveiling a special guest-created piece of artwork in Missouri.
How to Experience Show Me Neighborhood Art Week
- See our website for a list of registered addresses across the state. Depending on your location, you can walk, run, bike or drive to each art installation.
- University of Missouri Extension is not liable for personal injury or property damage.
- Do not enter private property.
- View art from the street or sidewalk
- Avoid touching art
- Take lots of photos
- Share Photos on social media with #ShowMeNeighborhoodArt and #MUExtension and #EngagedNeighbor
This is a statewide event!
To register the location of your art installation, you must register on the University of Missouri Extension website. The deadline to register is May 24.
Registered addresses will help people find the art for viewing and be shared in a spreadsheet posted on the University of Missouri Extension website.
Registered sites will receive a yard sign designating their site as an official Show-Me Neighborhood Art Week stop.
Once a site is registered, we will email all participants to send a photo of their completed art installation.
All registered participants will be eligible for one of several statewide prizes recognizing the best art installations. Judges’ Choice awards will be given in age groups and People’s Choice Awards (based on votes via social media) will be given to the top three pieces statewide.
Event Rules to Remember for Show Me Neighborhood Art Week
- Create works that are viewable from the street or sidewalk.
- Use materials that are not hazardous or dangerous.
- Use materials that have a chance to survive outside for two weeks during a variety of weather conditions. (i.e. chalk may wash away if not covered)
- If your artwork is no longer on view during the two weeks, contact event organizers so we can update our map.
- No hate speech or derogatory images.
- Do not use other people’s property without permission.
- Artwork created remains the property of the creator, and they are solely responsible for the artwork.
Contact: David Burton, [email protected], 417-881-8909
University of Missouri - St. Louis
Creating Whole Communities
University of Missouri Extension
Register For Event
Use Tab key to loop through the section below. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: Dec. 4, 2023 - Dec. 8, 2023
Event date: Dec. 4, 2023
Event time: 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
News & articles
Published: Friday, Dec. 1, 2023
CEUPrinciples of Emergency Services, Safety and Survival (CO24104)
Oct. 1, 2023 - Jan. 6, 2024