In-depth horticulture training for Missourians who wish to spread their knowledge of gardening.
East Central MO
Urban East MO
Urban West MO
West Central MO
The mission of the University of Missouri Extension Master Gardener volunteer program is to provide horticultural information and education to the gardening public based on proven research specific to the local climate, soils, and plants.
Find more information at MGGKC.org
The Master Gardeners will answer messages left on voice mail as well as emails sent from the website in a timely manner. The public is asked to leave a message so a Master Gardener can return the call if no one answers in person. People may also email a question to [email protected].
Any resident with an interest in gardening, novice or expert, may take the Master Gardener Core Course. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Apply to attend training in a location near you.
- Submit and pass the background check.
- Complete the Extension Master Gardener core training.
- 30 hours of plant education offered in the spring and fall. Courses are taught by University of Missouri faculty, local experts & MU Extension educators. Topics include: vegetables, compost and soil, flowers, fruits, turf grass, landscape design, woody landscape plants, plant propagation, integrated pest management, plant diseases and insects.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Complete the 30-hour internship by December 31 of the following year. Volunteer on projects and at events to teach plants in the community.
- Stay involved.
- Master Gardeners can remain active members in following years by attending six or more hours of continuing education and contributing 20 hours or more of volunteer community service.
- Report your volunteer and continuing education hours online by December 31st of each year.
Master Gardeners moving from other states are evaluated on a case-by-case basis through discussion with the individual, local coordinator, and State Coordinator.
At the heart of the Missouri Master Gardener program is our volunteers. Volunteers assist the University of Missouri Extension Service personnel to extend the educational arm of the university to the public by providing horticultural information based on university research and recommendations.
In other words, the Missouri Master Gardener program is a place for volunteers to have a fun, educational experience while serving the community in which they live while doing what they love.
Use Tab key to loop through the section below. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: Jan. 22, 2024 - May 6, 2024
Want to learn more about gardening? Do you have a passion for sharing gardening information and making your community a more beautiful place? Join us for the Extension Master Gardener (EMG) Training in Buchanan and Clinton Counties. This program’s ...
Event date: Feb. 22, 2024
Event time: | 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Kansas City, MO
Greetings Partners in Conservation! The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC), University of Missouri Extension, Kansas City, and Kansas City Parks (KC Parks) would like to invite you to our Kansas City Community Conservation Luncheon. ...
Event date: Aug. 17, 2023 - Dec. 7, 2023
Want to learn more about gardening? Do you have a passion for sharing gardening information and making your community a more beautiful place? Join us for the Extension Master Gardener (EMG) Training in the KC area. This program’s train-the-trainer ...
News & articles
- Published: Friday, Dec. 1, 2023
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Food and hope for the hungry are growing in the heart of downtown Kansas City.Since 2016, professionals from Dialectic Engineering have grown fruit and vegetables on a once-vacant city block. Produce goes to After the Harvest for ...
- Published: Friday, Dec. 15, 2017
COLUMBIA, Mo. – Submitting soil samples to your local University of Missouri Extension center is easy, says Manjula Nathan, director of the MU Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory.Now is the best time of the year to submit samples to the accredited ...
- Published: Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The summer they were married, Dan and Earlene Britton received a cutting from a Christmas cactus belonging to Earlene’s grandmother Naomi Ingrum. Thirty-six years later, the Brittons and the cactus continue to do well in spite of ...
- Published: Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2017
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The term “winterize” is associated more with automobiles than garden plants, but just as motorists want their cars to withstand the rigors of winter, gardeners can take steps to help their fragile plants do the same.Most of our ...
Missouri Master Gardener Online Core Training - Sp2024
Jan. 14, 2024 - June 1, 2024
The Missouri Master Gardener Core Manual is available online to download or purchase. The motto of the Missouri Master Gardener Extension Program is “helping others learn to grow.” This is accomplished by providing in-depth horticultural ...