Show-Me-Select® Program partners
- University of Missouri
- College of Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources (CAFNR)
- Division of Animal Sciences
- Division of Applied Social Sciences
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- MU Extension
- Center for Applied Research and Engagement Systems (CARES)
- Missouri Cattlemen’s Association
- Missouri Livestock Market Association
- Missouri Veterinary Medical Association
- Missouri Department of Agriculture*
* For more information regarding final pre-sale screening of heifers by Missouri Department of Agriculture graders, please contact:
MO Department of Agriculture
P.O. Box 630
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
The Show-Me-Select Replacement Heifer Program is recognized by CAFNR as one of their areas of excellence designated as Programs of Distinction.
From CAFNR’s Programs of Distinction section:CAFNR has existing areas of excellence now designated as Programs of Distinction.
The Show-Me-Select Replacement Heifer Program is recognized nationally as a model in the land-grant system in translational research and extension with immediate impacts on Missouri’s beef industry. The program provides cattle producers with tools to enhance reproductive and genetic potential of their herds and improve ultimate profitability. The program transfers science-based knowledge that enables participants to make practical production decisions that impact their bottom line.
The Show-Me-Select Replacement Heifer Program is an educational conduit for beef producers, veterinarians and allied industry, and is focused on enhancing the adoption of reproduction and genetic/genomic technologies across Missouri. The program, which began in 1996 with pilot programs in northeast and southwest Missouri, is the only statewide on-farm beef heifer development and marketing program of its kind in the United States. Nearly 150,000 heifers, from more than 900 farms, are enrolled in the program. The marketing arm of the program has reported sales of almost 37,000 heifers into 20 states nationwide, with gross receipts of more than $60 million. To date, MU’s investment in implementing the Show-Me-Select Replacement Heifer Program has resulted in an estimated impact of $200 million statewide.