State Horse Judging Contest
Saturday, March 18, 2023
William Woods University, Fulton, MO
This contest is open to all 4-H’ers. Registration is $25 per youth – no fee for coaches. Youth and coaches should register in 4-H Online between Jan. 19 and Feb. 26, 2023. Late registration ($40) runs from Feb. 27 to March 5, 2023. No registrations will be accepted after March 5, 2023.
Contest information and guidelines
- Junior Division 8–13; Senior Division 14–18
- IMPORTANT: Horse Judging Contest Team Scores: This is how the team scores will be determined for this contest.
- Because there is no limit on the number of members a county can register in the junior and senior division and because the Scantron system (used only at in-person events) does not accommodate multiple teams from a county, those registered will not be divided into teams prior to the contest.
- The top three individual scores in a county will determine the team score for that county for each division. What this means is that if you have more than three enrolled in your county (e.g., let’s say eight youth competing in junior division) then from those eight, the top three would comprise the team score. The final team will include those three plus the next highest individual in the county for a four-person team.
- A small clipboard and/or notebook and pencils with erasers are essential tools for this contest. You may not use notes or any other resources to help you during the contest.
- While the contest is in progress, there shall be no conferring between the contestants, or between contestants and anyone else except as authorized by the contest superintendent or their representatives.
- Approximately 15 minutes will be allowed contestants to judge the classes, make observations, take notes, and fill out their cards.
- Reasons: Juniors will deliver one set. Seniors will deliver two sets
- No parents or coaches allowed in the arena during judging process or team will automatically be disqualified
Judging guides and resources