Dairy Cow Camp
May 24-26, 2023
Lawrence County Youth Fair Grounds
Missouri 4-H Dairy Camp is an exciting event sponsored by University of Missouri Extension and is held at the Lawrence County Fairgrounds in Freistatt, MO. Extension staff, along with industry professionals, provide educational seminars. Youth work in small groups receiving individual assistance.
- Deadline for registration is May 1. Enrollment is limited and will be first come first serve. Registration may be completed via 4-H online. Check or cash payment must be mailed to Dairy Cow Camp c/o Karla Deaver PO Box 388, Mount Vernon, MO 65712. No credit card payments will be accepted for this event. Space in camp will be extremely limited. NO LATE REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Three to four campers will be placed in each room based upon age and gender. If you would prefer to have your camper in a semi-private room (2 campers) please add $75 to the registration fee. Adults needing a hotel room may contact Quality Inn directly and ask for Missouri Dairy Cow Camp room rate of $72.
- Cattle are provided through the Missouri All-Breeds Heifer Sale. If you have your own grooming equipment such as clippers or dryers, you are encouraged to bring them along.
- Parents and family members are invited to watch the showmanship competition at 10 am on Friday May 26. Lunch will be served following the contest. Lunch is provided for cow campers, helpers, and workshop presenters. Parents and others will need to re-purchase a lunch ticket for $10 each.
Each participant will receive:
- Grooming supplies
- Project notebook
- Hotel lodging
- Transportation to and from hotel
- Increase the knowledge of youth about care and management of dairy animals.
- Develop awareness of the ethical issues in care of dairy animals.
- Increase the awareness of issues in the dairy industry.
- Increase life skill development of participating youth.
- Certify youth in Show-Me Quality Assurance.
For more information, contact Karla Deaver.