4-H Sportfishing Slam
The Sportfishing Slam contest was created to challenge all 4-H members to stretch their skills and knowledge surrounding fishing in the State of Missouri. The Sportfishing Slam contest encourages members to learn more about and determine the appropriate fish species, habitat, and bait that will allow for the completion of a slam category (example: 1 Bluegill, 1 Redear, 1 White Crappie, and 1 Black Crappie from the Pan Slam).
All participants must register for the SLAM in 4-H Online. Once registered, you will automatically receive an email containing SLAM details and the link for submitting entries. There is no cost to participate and entries are accepted March 1 – June 1, 2021.
Sportfishing Slam categories
- Bass Slam — catch any species or sub-species listed: Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Spotted Bass, Rock Bass, White Bass, Yellow Bass, Stripped Bass
- Catfish Slam — catch any species or sub-species listed: Bullhead Catfish, Blue Catfish, Channel Catfish, Flathead Catfish
- Game Fish Slam — catch any species or sub-species listed: Largemouth Bass, Trout, Northern Pike, Muskellunge, Walleye, Sauger, Pickerel, Shovelnose Sturgeon, Paddlefish
- Pan Slam — catch any species or sub-species listed: Bluegill Sunfish, Redear Sunfish, Green Sunfish, Longear Sunfish, Black Crappie, White Crappie
- Lake Slam — catch any species or sub-species from lakes
- River Slam — catch any species or sub-species from rivers or streams
- Lure Slam — catch species or sub-species using one type of artificial lure
- MDC Slam — visit and catch at separate conservation areas
- Hatchery Slam — visit separate Missouri fish hatcheries
Age division SLAM requirements SLAM Category Junior (8-10) Intermediate (11-13) Senior (14-18) Bass 2 species 3 species 4 species Catfish 2 species 2 species 2 species Game Fish 2 species 3 species 4 species Pan 2 species 3 species 4 species Lake 2 species 3 species 4 species River 2 species 3 species 4 species Lure 2 species 3 species 4 species MDC 2 areas 3 areas 4 areas Hatchery 2 hatcheries 3 hatcheries 4 hatcheries
Sportfishing Slam Recognition
- Members who successfully complete any of the Sportfishing Slam categories and send a completed verification sheet will receive a color certificate recognizing their accomplishment, and will be posted to the Missouri 4-H Website.
- Members who complete four different categories of slams will be entered into an end of the slam period prize drawing. One drawing per each age division.
- Members who catch the largest fish per qualifying species submitted will also be entered into the end of slam prize drawing and recognized on the website. All age divisions will be combined for this drawing
Rules and regulations