Show-Me Strong Farm Families
In order to address mental health crises in rural areas, MU Extension has compiled the following mental health resources for consumers and professionals.
We have a team of specialists working to address these issues and the needs associated with them:
Coping with Disaster or Trauma
- Disasters and traumatic events take a toll on everyone involved. Stress, anxiety and depression are common reactions after a disaster.
- Here are resources to help survivors, first responders and health care practitioners who are dealing with the aftermath of a disaster or traumatic event.
- Although suicide affects every geographic region in the U.S., research suggests rural populations face persistent and widening increases in suicide.
- These resources can help with recognizing and addressing stress and mental health issues, suicide-proofing your home, coping after losing a loved one to suicide, and more.
Substance Abuse Prevention
- Substance abuse can be especially hard to combat in rural communities due to limited resources for prevention, treatment and recovery.
- The resources provided here are intended to help communities address substance abuse issues and spread substance abuse prevention messaging.
Show-Me Strong Farm Families is supported by funds from the North Central Farm and Ranch Stress Alliance Center (NCFRSAC), USDA NIFA grant number 2020-70028-32728.