Western Heritage and Cowboy Shooting
Have fun today and step into the past!
The Old West
Where: West of the Mississippi
Who: Cowboys, outlaws, pioneers, bankers, ranchers, sod busters, schoolmarms, buffalo hunters, undertakers, lawmen, railroaders, scouts, miners, native Americans, former soldiers, gamblers, entertainers, etc.
The 4-H Western Heritage Project combines a study of the Old West with a different type of 4-H shooting — western action shooting. The purpose of this project is to provide an avenue for 4-H members and adult leaders to experience the lifestyles and cultures of the American frontier during the period of 1860-1900 through a living history approach to learning while instilling the concepts of gun safety and personal responsibility.
Project goals and purpose
- The learning and application of safe firearm handling.
- Preserving and gaining an appreciation for the heritage of the Old West within the time period of 1860-1900.
- Living history education through the use of historically accurate firearms, clothing, and accessories
- Encourage interest in American history that will lead to personal research and increased knowledge of the Old West.
Missouri 4-H age guidelines
- Rimfire rifle only
- Previously completed 1 year of 4-H Rifle (air or smallbore)
- 3 guns - Rimfire rifle, Rimfire pistol/revolver, & Shotgun (.410 – 20 – 16 - 12)
14 and up
- 3 guns – Rifle, revolver & shotgun
- Rimfire OR Central-fire (.38 - .45 – etc.)
Western Heritage and Cowboy Shooting Contest
Dysart Memorial Shooting Complex in Marshall, Mo.
Sept. 10–11, 2022
Registration July 15–Aug. 15 in 4-H Online.
4-H Western Heritage project competition will consist of 3 areas. A 4-H member is expected to keep with "The Spirit of the Game" must compete in all 3 areas.
- Cowboy Action Shooting – 50 percent
- Timed event (quickest wins)
- Steel targets (hit or miss)
- Penalties given for misses, safety violations and procedural mistakes – which adds to the time.
- Two divisions in Senior competition: Rimfire and Central-fire
- Period Clothing/character development – 25 percent
- Western Knowledge quiz/test – 25 percent