4-H Shooting Sports Ambassadors
The Missouri 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador Program is designed to promote 4-H and 4-H Shooting Sports. Youth selected to serve as Ambassadors will receive training that will allow them to return to their homes and advocate for the program at the county, regional, and state level. Some Ambassadors may be asked to support national events as well. Ambassadors provide public relations support at special events such as donor/sponsor functions and also serve as spokespersons for the 4-H Shooting Sports Program, helping to make 4-H and the 4-H Shooting Sports Programs more visible. The Ambassador's further develop their skills in leadership, public presentation, citizenship, community service, public relations and teambuilding.
- At least 15 years old (4-H age)
- At least 1 year remaining as 4-H member (2017-2018 program year)
- Currently enrolled in 4-H Shooting Sports project
- Member in good standing in home county
Purpose, goals and objectives
The 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador program will provide a venue for 4-H teens to:
- Represent 4-H and specifically 4-H Shooting Sports for public relations purposes at special events; at donor/sponsor functions and with the general public, 4-H groups, community service organizations, schools and media contacts
- Serve as spokespersons for the 4-H Shooting Sports program at their respective levels of participation — national, regional, state, county — helping to make 4-H Shooting Sports programs more visible
- Further develop their skills in leadership, public presentation, citizenship, community service, public relations and teambuilding
- Assist in maintaining relations with 4-H Faculty and Extension Administrators as well as past, present and future program donors and supporters
- Continue and expand their involvement in 4-H Shooting Sports beyond the shooting skills and competitive events
- Stay actively connected with the 4-H Shooting Sports program as they enter their collegiate years and further into adulthood
By being selected as a National 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador, you will be representing over 320,000 4-H youth. What you say and do is very important. Remember, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. As an Ambassador you may meet with donors who are CEO's of companies or organizations and you always need to put your best foot forward. The way you dress, the way you speak and act are very important when you are serving as an Ambassador.
- You are expected to present at your county's Regional Extension Energizer on the promotion of Missouri's 4-H Shooting Sports program.
- You are expected to assist at any local sponsor (NRA, NWTF, MidwayUSA, etc.) events and/or banquets.
- You are expected to be on time, so plan to be early to any event.
- You need to respond promptly to any emails or phone calls from the Program Coordinator and your chaperon for the event.
- It is very important that you send thank you notes immediately following the event.
- You will be given names and addresses so that you can fulfill this obligation.
- You may get tired at events, but you always need to be cheerful and ready to respond positively to everyone.
- A mature attitude and outlook is required.
- Ambassadors may be asked by your State Shooting Sports Coordinator or the National Shooting Sports Committee to serve as a representative at a local, regional, state or national event.
Application deadline: May 1, 2020 to the State 4-H Office