In-depth horticulture training for Missourians who wish to spread their knowledge of gardening.
Show-Me Master Gardeners
The Show-Me Master Gardeners are the local chapter of the Missouri Master Gardeners. They hold meetings on the third Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m., at the Pettis County Extension Office located at 1012-A Thompson Blvd., Sedalia, MO 65301.
Show-Me Master Gardeners' Mission
To educate the public pertaining to horticulture and gardening practices in accordance with standards approved by the University of Missouri.
During the 2018 calendar year, 32 members from the Show-Me Master Gardener group taught 65 classes, took 143 calls and committed 2,886 hours of volunteer work beautifying and educating Pettis County.
The following is a partial listing of the types of volunteer service conducted:
- Maintained the Liberty Center, Katy Depot, CASA and Maple Leaf gardens
- Taught classes at the Ag Expo and provided another class on how to judge horticulture, fruits and vegetables
- Ran the information booths at the Ag Expo and Sutherlands. At the Missouri State Fair Information Booth we handed out 8,000 Horiticulture sheets and 500 samples of compost from the City of Sedalia
- Held two fundraiser plant sales in May and September
- Gave one $300 scholarship to a Horticulture student at State Fair Community College
- Attended Master Gardener Day at the Missouri State Fair
- President: Wanda Rasa
- Vice-President: Alva Rasa
- Secretary: Julia Bailey
- Treasurer: Amy Davis-Evans
Provisional Master Gardener: An individual who has completed the Master Gardener Core Course which consists of 30 hours of classroom training.
Active Master Gardener: An individual who has completed the Master Gardener Core Course AND has completed 30 hours of volunteer service within one year of course completion. Active membership continues after the first year providing the individual completes a minimum of 20 hours of volunteer service annually.
Inactive Master Gardener: A Show-Me Master Gardener who does not complete the yearly requirement of at least 20 hours of volunteer service (extenuating circumstances excepted). To be reinstated to Active Master Gardener status, an inactive gardener must repeat the Master Gardener Core Course (30 hours of classroom instruction) and must again complete 30 hours of volunteer service within one year of course completion.