Stay Strong, Stay Healthy and Matter of Balance Classes
Thanks to a grant from the Skaggs Foundation MU Extension Taney County will be offering two great classes for senior citizens free of charge.
Matter of Balance is an award winning program created to help adults 60+ to overcome their concerns about falling. It is designed for adults who ar able to move about and problem solve. Participants will learn to:
- View falls and fear of falling as controllable
- Set realistic goals for increasing activity
- Change their environment to reduce fall risks
- Do simple exercises to increase strength and balance
Program consists of five, two-hour sessions on consecutive Fridays starting October 25 - November 22, 2013 from 9:45 to 11:45 p.m. Classes will be held at the Our Lady of the Ozarks Catholic Church, 951 Swan Valley Drive, Forsyth, MO 65653. Call 417-546-4431 for more information or to register. Registration deadline is October 18, 2013.
Stay Strong, Stay Healthy is a ten session exercise class designed for middle-aged or older adults who want to improve their quality of life and stay active. Over ten weeks you will increase your strength and improve your balance. Weights will be available on site.
Stay Strong, Stay Healthy sessons include:
- Warm-up exercises
- Eight simple strengthening exercises, done with or without weights
- Cool down stretches
Classes will be held on Thursdays starting November 7, 2013 from 10-11 p.m. in the Forsyth Community Presbyterian Church basement. Deadline to register is Wednesday, October 29, 2013. Call the Taney County MU Extension center for more information or to register at 417-546-4431.
Childcare Training Series Starts September 19 in Branson
University of Missouri Extenson will offer a series of four workshops this fall on four monthly Thursday evenings to address training requirements for childcare and foster care providers. The workshops will be held from 6 - 9 p.m. on September 19, October 17, November 21 and December 12 at the White River Valley Electric Cooperative, 2449 State Hwy 76 East, Branson, MO in their community room. All attendees will receive a certificate of attendance with credit for clock hour training and hours will be entered into the state ChildCare Aware of Missouri system. Registration is $15.00 per session. To register or for more information please contact the Taney County MU Extension office at 417-546-4431 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Program flyer.
- September 19, 2013 - "Sexuality and Children: What is Normal", presented by Mitzi Huffman, Family Nurse Practitioner with Lakes Area Child Advocasy Center
- October 17, 2013 - "Meth + Children = Danger", presented by Mitzi Huffman, Family Nurse Practitioner with Lakes Area Child Advocasy Center
- November 21, 2013 - "Science for Young Thinkers" and "Art Appreciation for Young Children", presented by Jim Wirth, Ph.D., Human Development Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
- December 12, 2013 - "Sparking Kids Curiosity" and "What Does Time Mean to Children", presented by Jim Wirth, Ph.D., Human Development Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
Be a Volunteer Tax Preparer
This is a great way to help our Taney and Stone county communities. There are so many reasons and benefits to working as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) volunteer- the link to "Six Reasons Why You Should Become a Tax Volunteer" shows only a few. Important points: you will get free tax training and materials from the IRS and MU Extension, the hours are flexible, we have a choice of 5 sites where you can volunteer. To volunteer please download the application below and send it in as per the instuctions. For more information, please download the documents below and/or call 417-546-4431.
The Healthy Families Taskforce of Stone and Taney Counties maintains a list of recommended community resources on their website: http://healthyfamiliestaskforce.webs.com/apps/links/