Extension Council Election

The Clay County Extension Council took place January 19 to January 23. Two new members, Debbie Blakely and Christine Veach, both of Liberty, were elected to a first term, as well as one candidate, Amanda Riesselman, was re-elected to a 2nd term. The Extension Council is responsible for guiding and directing the outreach programs of the University of Missouri and extending these resources toward meeting objectives and solving problems of individuals, communities and organizations within the county. To find out more about University Extension, or how you can become involved, check out the website at http://extension.missouri.edu/about/home.aspx or contact the Clay County office at (816) 407-3490.

Learn Where Your Plants Come From

The Kauffman Conference Center will be the location for a one-day class that includes a lecture and hands-on workshop to help gardeners understand how new varieties of plants are bred and how you can do it yourself. The session, February 21, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.,  will be led by Joseph Tychonievich, author of Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener, who will take the complex, technical aspects of gardening and break them down into simple, clear, easy-to-understand terms. Registration information is on the FLYER. Sponsored by MU Extension and the Master Gardeners of Greater Kansas City.

Private Pesticide Applicator Training

Wyatt Miller, Agronomy Specialist with University Extension, will be conducting numerous private pesticide applicator trainings in Clay and surrounding counties in February.  SEE INFO FLYER.  The session in Clay County is Tuesday, February 2nd, 2 p.m. at the Clay County Extension office.  This session will not be held for less than 6 people, so call ahead to reserve a seat.  (816) 407-3490.

Annual Soils and Crops Conference

Thursday, February 5th is the date for the annual Soils and Crops Conference held in Ray County at the Veterans Memorial Community Building, 312 Clark St., Richmond. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and program ends at 3 p.m.  SEE FLYER.  A $10 fee is due at the door, and you must call and register in advance. Lunch is provided. 

Business Classes for 2015

Two classes to assist entrepreneurs in getting off to the right start are being offered by University Extension in cooperation with the Full Employment Council.  Classes are being offered in four locations. First Steps to Starting a Business is a 4-hour class that provides an overview of the critical first steps associated with starting a business. Basics of Writing a Business Plan is a 2-hour session designed for those who want to know how to create a business plan that will be a useful management tool for their business. For more details or to see if you qualify as a Missouri Dislocated Worker, contact Richard Zarate;  zarater@missouri.edu or 816-407-3496.  Information Flyer (PDF)

Northland Grandfamilies

 Are you raising a grandchild or other relative?  Need support, information or resources?  Clay County Extension, the Clay County Senior Services, and the Platte County Senior Fund have developed a partnership to help those in just such a situation. If you or someone you know is a grandparent, aunt or uncle raising children, contact the Clay County Extension Center at 816-407-3490 for more details on the “Northland Grandfamilies” program.  View the information flyer (PDF) for general monthly support group meeting dates. For a current program flyer, contact 816-407-3490.

Master Gardeners answer questions

The Master Gardeners of Greater Kansas City are available to answer your questions on lawn, flowers, trees, and gardening. Master Gardeners are on winter hours. Please leave a message so a Master Gardener can return the call. Calls will be returned as quickly as possible. Call 816-833-8733 (TREE) or you can email your question to mggkc.hotline@gmail.com.