Stone County Extension Council Election
Stone County Extension Council is holding council member elections this week (January 25 thru January 29). Click on the Extension Ballot link on this page to vote electronically. Biographys of council candidates http://extension.missouri.edu/stone/documents/Election/2016%20Candidate%20Biographies.pdf. Paper ballots are available at the Extension Center, 2nd floor of the Stone County Courthouse.
Stone County Extension is participation in the VITA tax assistance program again this year. Taxes are done by RESERVATION only. Two locations are available, the Stone County Annex, on the square in Galena and the Stone County Neighborhood Center (OACAC) in the Stonebridge Center south of Branson West. Taxes will be done in Galena on Wednesday's from 9:00am to 12:00 noon; and in Stoneridge Center south of Branson West / north of Kimberling City on Thursday's from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Please call the Stone County Extension Center, to make a reservation 417-357-6812.
Private Pesticide Applicator Training
Stone County Private Pesticide Applicator training will be held on Friday, February 12 at 1:00 p.m. at the Stone County Annex on the south side of the square in Galena. This training provides certification to obtain a Private Pesticide Applicators License for agriculture producers and will also count for recertification requirements by the state. This training will not certify for commercial application licenses. Must be 18 years or older. Training takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours.The cost for the training is $15. If you already own and can bring with you the Missouri Private Pesticide Applicators Reference Manual (M87 - printed 2007 with blue lettering on the front), there will be a reduction in the cost by $12. Call the Stone County Extension Center 417-357-6812 if you need more information.
Other Private Pesticide Applicator trainings in the area are:
- Christian County, Thursday, February 11, at 6:00 p.m. at the First Baptist Church (1400 W Jackson Street) Ozark. Call 417-581-3558 for more information.
- Taney County, Friday, February 19, at 1:00p.m. at the Taneyville Municipal Building in Taneyville. Call 417-546-4431 for information
- Lawrence County, Friday, March 11, at 1:00 p.m. at the MU Southwest Center in Mt. Vernon. Call 417-466-3102 for information
- Barry County, Monday, March 14, at 1:30 p.m. at the Cassville Public Library, Call 417-847-3161 to pre-register or for more information
- Barry County, Monday, March 14, at 5:30 at the Cassville High School Vo-Ag Department. Call 417-847-3161 to pre-register or for more information
- Greene County, Wednesday, March 16, at 1:00 p.m. at the Greene County Extension Center located in the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, Springfield. Pre-registration is required. Call 417-881-8909, ext 42953 to preregister and for more information.
Master Gardeners of the Ozarks Spring Garden Workshop
Master Gardeners of the Ozarks 2016 Spring Garden Workshop will be held on Saturday, March 5, at the Faith Lutheran Church, 221 Malone Street, AdvanceBranson MO. The day begins with registration and a continental breakfast at 8:00 a.m. Session are 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.. Topics are:
- Things that Bite & Sting in the Garden by Dr. Tom Riley, Entomologist and Master Gardener, Forsyth
- What's New in the Nursery by Dow Whiting, Garden Adventures, Nixa
- Tips & Tricks for Vegetable Gardening by Tim Reinbott, Bradford Research Center, Columbia
- Wild Edibles, by Tamara Walkingstick, Ph.D., Arkansas Forest Resources Center, Little Rock
- Creating a Garden Sanctuary by Tom Lakowske, Alta Birdsong, Springfield
Advanced registration is required. Cost per person for all sessions and a catered lunch is $20.00. You may register online at http://mgozarks.com or you may register by sending a check to Stone County Extension Center, PO Box 345, Galena MO 65656. If you have questions or need more information, please call the Stone County Extension Center 417-357-6812.
Master Gardener Training Classes
Master Gardener training classes will be held in the fall of 2016. If you are interested in attending classes, please call the Stone County Extension Center 417-357-6812 and get your name on the list. More information will be available as soon as dates and times are set.
Kimberling Area Garden Programs
Garden programs are presented by Master Gardeners of the Ozarks at the Kimberling Area Library, 45 Kimberling Blvd, Kimberling City, MO. These classes are held on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. All classes are free and open to the public as a part of community education sponsored jointly by Master Gardeners of the Ozarks, who volunteer with the University of Missouri Extension. Please see the Master Gardenerslink on this page or check out the Master Gardeners website for dates and topics http://mgozarks.com for more information.