Stone County Livestock & Forage Conference
Stone County Livestock and Forage Conference will be Thursday, February 16, at the Crane First Baptist Church, 30 Hallelujah Drive, Crane MO from 6 to 9 pm (doors open at 5:30). Evening will begin with a Ribeye dinner. Cost is $5.00 - preregister by Feb. 13. by mailing a check to Stone County Extension Center, PO Box 345, Galena MO 65656. Topics are: County Commission Report; Fine-tuning our Weed and Brush Control Methods; What the Steer Feedout Program Has Taught us about our Missouri Calf Crop; and Bermudagrass - Could it be a Game-Changer in our Hayfields and Pastures? Call the Stone County Extension Center, 417-357-6812, for more information.
Growing The Grower
Workshops are $5.00. Call Sara Wikoff at 417-334-4544 ext 252, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
January 30th, 6-8 pm at Galena Library, "Berry Production" by Patrick Byers, Horticulture Specialist
February 9th, 6-8 pm at Hollister Agriculture Building, "High Tunnels & Other Crop Protection Structures" by Patrick Byers, Horticulture Specialist
These programs are sponsored by Taney County Health Department; University of Missouri Extension; and OWN it
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites Open in Stone County
The volunteer income tax assistance (VITA) sites will be opening in Stone county on Wednesday, February 1, 2017 and will run through April 13, 2017. To qualify for free tax preparation you must make under $54,000. Our volunteers are not trained to do business taxes, itemized deductions or capital gains and losses. If you have these we recommend you see a paid preparer. To make an appointment or for more information call the extension office at 417-357-6812. Attached is the flyer showing locations, times and what you need to bring with you.
There are two sites in Stone County:
- Wednesdays - 9:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. - Stone County Annex, Galena
- Thursdays - 9:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. - Stone County OACAC, Stoneridge Center, Branson West
Private Pesticide Applicator Training
Several counties are providing Private Pesticide Applicator Training during the next few weeks. Following is a list of dates.
- Christian County PPAT, Thur. Feb 2, 8:30 A.M. at the First Baptist Church (105 Kennedy Ave, Clever MO) Cost is $15.00 - Information - 417-581-3558
- Stone County PPAT, Fri. Feb 3, 1:00 P.M. at the Stone County Annex (south side of square, Galena MO) Cost is $15.00 - Information 417-357-6812
- Lawrence County PPAT, Thur. Feb. 23, 6:00 P.M. at the MU SW Research Center, Mt. Vernon MO. Cost is $15.00 - Information 417-466-3102
- Taney County PPAT, Fri. Feb. 24, 1:00 P.M. at the Taneyville Municipal Building, Taneyville MO. Cost is $15.00 - Information 417-546-4431
- Barry County PPAT, Mon. Mar. 13, 1:00 P.M. at the Barry County Courthouse Commission Room. Cost is $15.00 - Information 417-847-3161 or
- Barry County PPAT, Mon. Mar. 13, 5:30 P.M. at the Cassville High School Vo-Ag Dept (light meal served) Cost is $15.00 - Information 417-847-3161
- Greene County PPAT, Wed. March 15, 1:00 P.M. at the Greene County Extension Center (Springfield Botanical Center 2400 S Scenic Ave. Springfield MO). Cost is $18.00 Pre-registration is Required. To register or for more information call 417-881-8909 ext 42953 or online at http://extension.missouri.edu/greene
All trainings will be conducted by Tim Schnakenberg, Regional Agronomy Specialist. If you already have the M87 Missouri Private Pesticide Applicator Reference Manual (printed 2007 with blue lettering on the front) bring that with you for a price reduction. Must be 18 years old or older to receive a PPAT license. Training will last approximately 21/2 to 3 hours.
Master Gardeners of the Ozarks Spring Garden Workshop
The Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will host their Spring Garden Workshop "Gearing Up for Gardening" on March 4, 2017, at the Faith Lutheran Church, 221 Malone Street, Branson MO. Cost for the workshop is $20 and this includes a catered lunch and all handouts. Doors will open at 8:00 am for registration, shopping and a continental breakfast. Sessions will begin at 9:00 am and end about 3:00 pm. Topics this year are: Tips and Tricks to Maximize your Vegetable Garden Production; Incorporating Permaculture into your Garden; Plant Disease Diagnostics and Prevention; No More Aching Back; and The Monarch Butterfly. Registration deadline is February 24. You may register online at http://mgozarks.com/ or by mailing a check to Master Gardeners of the Ozarks, PO Box 345, Galena MO 65656. Please include all names and addresses for each person you are registering for.
Kimberling Area Garden Programs
Kimberling Area Library gardening classes presented by the Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will be held on Wednesdy's at 10:00 AM. Class schedule is:
- March 8 Seed Starting Indoors by MG Bill Greet
- April 12 Summer Bulbs to Plant Now by MG Kathryn Kufahl
- May 10 Plants to Attract Hummingsbirds by MG Kathryn Kufahl
- June 14 Insect Pests in the Garden by MG Tom Riley
- July 12 Pruning: From Basic to Espalier by MG Aaron Lynn-Vogel
- August 9 Bringing the Garden in for Fall by MG Alice Troyke
- September 13 The Keyhole Garden by MG Marva Ramsey