2014 Farmer's Tax Guides
The 2014 Farmer's Tax Guides are now available at the Macon County Extension Office.
2014-2015 Seedling Order Form
The Seedling Order Form from Missouri Department of Conservation is now available at the Macon County Extension Office. Deadline to order is April 15.
Macon/Shelby Master Gardeners sponsor Healing Garden at Macon Samaritan Hospital
The University of Missouri Macon/Shelby Master Gardeners are leading the community in the development of two "Healing Gardens" at Samaritan Hospital in Macon, Mo. The recent completion of a new addition to the hospital promoted this opportunity to refresh a current garden and establish a new garden.
Monetary donations, physical labor and assistance in publicizing the engraved brick pavers will be greatly appreciated! A money-making event designating the funds to the garden would be welcome. All contributors will be recognized on a plaque within the hospital. Engraved bricks are available for $75. For more information, contact the Macon County Extension Office at 660-385-2173.
Monetary donations may be sent to Samaritan Healing Garden, c/o Melinda Reilly, 1205 N. Missouri St., Macon, MO 63552.
Donation/Brick Order Form (PDF)
Soil tests save time and money. Whether you grow acres of row crops or have a vegetable patch in the backyard, a soil test will provide you with an analysis of nutrients and a set of recommendations for improvements. Call or visit the Macon County Extension office for details. Basic testing is $20 per sample box. Additional fees are required for additional tests. Each sample box requires 2 cups of dry soil. Results will be mailed to you in 10 to 14 business days.
Joining 4-H is easy
4-H is a community of young people across America learning leadership, citizenship and life skills. 4-H is young people making new friends and memories while preparing to be leaders of today and tomorrow. We are a volunteer-led organization that reaches boys and girls through small groups called clubs. 4-H members choose from over 40 projects in which to participate. Most projects use hands-on learning experiences to teach subject matter and life-skills such as cooperation, leadership and decision-making — skills that can be applied over and over for a lifetime. Clover Kid are ages 5-7 and 4-H member ages are 8-18. For more details, contact the Macon County Extension Office at 660-385-2173.
Fencing and boundary laws
- MU Extension publication, G810, Missouri Fencing and Boundary Laws
- Information on Fence Laws from the Missouri Agricultural Law Center (includes link to Missouri State Statute)
- Local Optional Fence Law for Northeast Missouri, by Joe Koenen, University of Missouri Extension Agribusiness Specialist
- What Should I Do When Mother Nature Ruins My Fences, by Joe Koenen, University of Missouri Extension Agribusiness Specialist
- Posting Land Against Trespassers: Signs OR Purple Paint Markings Will Work in Missouri, by Stephen Matthews, Missouri Agriculture Law Center
- Missouri Fencing Law FAQ's, by Stephen Matthews, professor of agriculture law, University of Missouri
Check out these popular publications. Printed copies also are available at the extension office.