New Office Location
University of Missouri Macon County Extension Office has moved to 404 N. Missouri St., Suite B, Macon, MO 63552. It is across the street from Star 63 Restaurant. The phone number will remain the same 660-385-2173 and the fax number will remain 660-385-7251.
Macon/Shelby Master Gardeners sponsor Healing Garden at Macon Samaritan Hospital
The University of Missouri Macon/Shelby Master Gardeners are leading the community in the development of two "Healing Gardens" at Samaritan Hospital in Macon, Mo. The recent completion of a new addition to the hospital promoted this opportunity to refresh a current garden and establish a new garden.
Monetary donations, physical labor and assistance in publicizing the engraved brick pavers will be greatly appreciated! A money-making event designating the funds to the garden would be welcome. All contributors will be recognized on a plaque within the hospital. Engraved bricks are available for $75. For more information, contact the Macon County Extension Office at 660-385-2173.
Monetary donations may be sent to Samaritan Healing Garden, c/o Melinda Reilly, 1205 N. Missouri St., Macon, MO 63552.
Donation/Brick Order Form (PDF)
Soil tests save time and money. Whether you grow acres of row crops or have a vegetable patch in the backyard, a soil test will provide you with an analysis of nutrients and a set of recommendations for improvements. Call or visit the Macon County Extension office for details. Basic testing is $20 per sample box. Additional fees are required for additional tests. Each sample box requires 2 cups of dry soil. Results will be mailed to you in 10 to 14 business days.
Joining 4-H is easy
4-H is a community of young people across America learning leadership, citizenship and life skills. 4-H is young people making new friends and memories while preparing to be leaders of today and tomorrow. We are a volunteer-led organization that reaches boys and girls through small groups called clubs. 4-H members choose from over 40 projects in which to participate. Most projects use hands-on learning experiences to teach subject matter and life-skills such as cooperation, leadership and decision-making — skills that can be applied over and over for a lifetime. Clover Kid are ages 5-7 and 4-H member ages are 8-18. For more details, contact the Macon County Extension Office at 660-385-2173.
Fencing and boundary laws
- MU Extension publication, G810, Missouri Fencing and Boundary Laws
- Information on Fence Laws from the Missouri Agricultural Law Center (includes link to Missouri State Statute)
- Local Optional Fence Law for Northeast Missouri, by Joe Koenen, University of Missouri Extension Agribusiness Specialist
- What Should I Do When Mother Nature Ruins My Fences, by Joe Koenen, University of Missouri Extension Agribusiness Specialist
- Posting Land Against Trespassers: Signs OR Purple Paint Markings Will Work in Missouri, by Stephen Matthews, Missouri Agriculture Law Center
- Missouri Fencing Law FAQ's, by Stephen Matthews, professor of agriculture law, University of Missouri
Check out these popular publications. Printed copies also are available at the extension office.