Jasper County team places first at 2020 4-H Meats Judging Contest
- Published: Wednesday, March 4, 2020
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The University of Missouri Extension 4-H State Meats Judging Contest and clinic on Feb. 15 drew 51 competitors from across the state.
Held in partnership with the MU Meat Science Group and MU Collegiate Meats Judging Team, the event provided contestants and clinic participants the opportunity to develop and hone their judging skills and explore future career and educational options, said Maria Calvert MU Extension state 4-H agriculture and natural resources educator.
Youths involved with the meat judging program develop key life skills to aid in their future career success and success as lifelong consumers, said Ty Peckman state 4-H agriculture specialist. “Through involvement in a 4-H judging team, 4-H youths develop the skills necessary to make rapid, logical decisions and defend their decisions via oral reasons.”
Junior division (ages 8-13)
- 1. Monroe County
- 2. Cape Girardeau County
- 3. Callaway County
- 1. John Paul Quinn, Monroe County
- 2. Reid Ragsdale, Monroe County
- 3. Austin Pope, Jasper County
- 4. Gianna Quinn, Monroe County
- 5. Hunter Aufdenberg, Cape Girardeau County
- 6. Aiden Wimmer, Callaway County
- 7. Shane Jansen, Cape Girardeau County
- 8. Bryli DeLashmutt, Callaway County
- 9. Blake Aufdenberg, Cape Girardeau County
- 10. Emily Harris, Callaway County.
Senior division (age 14-18)
- 1. Jasper County
- 2. Callaway County
- 3. Cape Girardeau County
- 1. Rose Quinn, Monroe County
- 2. Mallory Greiwe, Monroe County
- 3. Kiley Braun, Platte County
- 4. Luke Anibal, Jasper County
- 5. Dylan Aufdenberg, Cape Girardeau County
- 6. Kirsten Harris, Callaway County
- 7. Melanie Loesch, Cole County
- 8. Cassidy Murphy, Callaway County
- 9. Brett Rockers, Jasper County
- 10. Korbin Fast, Jasper County
The championship team from Jasper County will advance to the National 4-H Meats Judging Contest this fall at the American Royal.
Sponsors for the 2020 Missouri 4-H State Meats Judging Contest include the Missouri Association of Meat Processors and Missouri 4-H Foundation.
More than 55,000 members strong, Missouri 4-H is an active, dynamic organization of young people who are learning, growing and preparing to be the leaders of today and tomorrow while making a real difference in their communities, the country and the world. 4-H is the youth development program of the University of Missouri and the nation’s Cooperative Extension System. For more information, visit 4h.missouri.edu.
Photo available for this release:
The Jasper County team placed first in the senior division. From left, Brett Rockers, Korbin Fast, Luke Anibal, Shem Miller and Audrey Osterdyk.
Writer: Maria Calvert
Use Tab key to loop through the section below. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: Oct. 20, 2020 - Oct. 22, 2020
Mt. Vernon, MO
News & articles
CEU24th Annual Midwest Regional Nursing Educators Conference
Nov. 13, 2020 - Nov. 14, 2020
CEU5th Annual Perinatal Conference: Improving Outcomes for Mother and Baby
Oct. 22, 2020