Flood-related resources from MU Extension
- Published: Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020
Editors: With a flash flood watch in effect for parts of Missouri, these ready-to-publish news releases may be of interest to your readers:
- Be prepared for flooded roads: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/be-prepared-for-flooded-roads-2567
- First aid for leaky basements: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/first-aid-for-leaky-basements-2572
- Reducing flood damage to home and property: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/reducing-flood-damage-to-home-and-property-1155
- Let flood-damaged homes dry thoroughly before installing new coverings: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/let-flood-damaged-homes-dry-thoroughly-before-installing-new-coverings-3073
- Scams and fraud add insult to injury after a disaster: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/protect-yourself-from-contractor-fraud-1170
- Property loss from disasters may be tax deductible: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/property-loss-from-disasters-may-be-tax-deductible-1113
- Use shock chlorination to disinfect contaminated wells: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/use-shock-chlorination-to-disinfect-contaminated-wells-1096
- Snakes on a flood plain: https://extension2.missouri.edu/news/snakes-on-a-flood-plain-1175
In-depth information is available from these MU Extension publications, which are available for free download. (To access publications, use the links below or go extension.missouri.edu/publications/ and search by publication number.)
- EMW1023, Quick Tips for Cleaning up After a Flood – Tips on protective equipment; deciding what can be salvaged and what should be thrown away; safely drying, cleaning and disinfecting materials; and what to do before installing new drywall and insulation.
- MP904, Resources for Your Flooded Home – Downloadable 24-page publication offers information about electrical systems; repairing walls; cleaning furniture, flooring, floor coverings, bedding and kitchen items; and controlling mold and mildew. Other information includes financial advice, filing insurance claims, avoiding fraud and hiring a contractor.
- EMW1026, Safe Drinking Water in an Emergency – Downloadable guide sheet on storing and purifying drinking water during an emergency.
More from MU Extension
National Weather Service
Flood Safety Tips, www.weather.gov/safety/flood
"Turn Around Don't Drown" flood safety PSA, youtu.be/CxSgwRQaCqw.
Writer: Curt Wohleber