Food Defense: Protecting the Food Supply from Intentional Harm
The following publications were used in the development of this guide.
- Bruemmer, B. 2003. Food biosecurity. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 103 (6): 687–691.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2003. Nicotine poisoning after ingestion of contaminated ground beef — Michigan, 2003. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 52 (18): 413–416.
- Crowe, K. 2007. Salad bar salmonella. Forensic Examiner, June 22.
- Dunn, M. V. 1999. The threat of bioterrorism to U.S. agriculture. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 894:184–188.
- Hollingsworth, P. 2002. Hot topics address terrorism, fickle consumers, and obesity. Food Technology 58 (8): 48, 50, 52.
- Kosal, M. E., and D. E. Anderson. 2004. An unaddressed issue of agricultural terrorism: A case study on feed security. Journal of Animal Science 82: 3394–3400.
- Neher, N. J. 1999. The need for a coordinated response to food terrorism: The Wisconsin experience. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 894: 181–183.
- Schludt, G. 1999. Man indicted on charges of tainting animal feed. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Sept. 15.
- Scott A., M. Christie, and P. Midmore. 2004. Impact of the 2001 foot-and-mouth disease outbreak in Britain: Implications for rural studies. Journal of Rural Studies 20 (1): 1–14.
- Snelson, H. 2007. Pigs in six states possibly exposed to melamine-tainted feed. American Association of Swine Veterinarians. April 25.
- Stinson, T. F., K. Ghosh, J. Kinsey, and D. Degeneffe. 2008. Do household attitudes about food defense and food safety change following highly visible national food recalls? American Journal of Agricultural Economics 90 (5): 1272–1278.
- University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine, Kirkwood Community College and Virginia–Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. (n.d.) Agriculture and food vulnerability assessment training course.
- USA Today. 2007. FDA: Contaminated feed poses very low risk to humans. May 7.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security. 2003. Homeland security presidential directive 7: Critical infrastructure identification, prioritization, and protection.
- Yoe, C., M. Parish, D. Eddy, D.K.Y. Lei, B. Paleg, and J.G. Schwarz. Risk management: The value of the food defense plan. Food Safety Magazine (April/May 2008).