Wednesday, April 22, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo.– Dairy producers saw record profits last year, but prices are down this year.
Monday, March 2, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo. – Renovate hay fields first when replacing toxic fescue with new novel endophyte varieties.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo. – Good beef prices give herd owners a chance to upgrade pastures to remove toxic fescue.
Monday, January 12, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo.– Calf scours, the diarrhea seen during the first 30 days of a calf’s life, is caused by a variety of bacteria, viruses and parasites. But the exact cause is less important than prompt treatment, says a University of Missouri professor of food-animal medicine.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014PURDY, Mo.– Dairy farmer Charles Fletcher is a musician at heart. Since switching from a traditional dairy system to pasture-based rotational grazing 17 years ago, he has expanded his operation, increased his bottom line and has more time to make music, playing harmonica with a local bluegrass group called Ozark Mountain Revival.
Media available: video
Wednesday, October 15, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– Dairy producers are coming off a tremendously profitable 2014, and the outlook for 2015 is promising.
Tuesday, September 2, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– Crop prices have fallen sharply while livestock prices have reached record levels in 2014. Next year could see some moderation in livestock prices and continued low crop prices.
Friday, May 16, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– The 2014 North American Manure Expo will be held in Springfield, Missouri, on July 8-9. The expo rotates among states each year and this is the first year Missouri is hosting the event.
Monday, April 7, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – Beef producers faced calving challenges this winter due to historic cold weather. Producers and veterinarians reported that some cows simply lay down and gave up this winter when it came time to calve.
Media available: photo
Browse these University of Missouri websites:
You may be interested in these external websites:
- AED40, Greenhouse Barns for Dairy Housing
- AED51, Hoop Barns for Dairy Cattle
- G1406, Preventing Shocks to Cows in Milking Parlors
- G3050, Introduction to Pasture-Based Dairy Models
- G3051, Converting an Existing Dairy to the Missouri 75-Cow Grazing Model
- G3052, Starting a 75-Cow Intensive Rotational Grazing Dairy
- G3053, Starting a 150-Cow Intensive Rotational Grazing Dairy
- G3054, Starting a 300-Cow Intensive Rotational Grazing Dairy
- G3055, Starting a 600-Cow Intensive Rotational Grazing Dairy
- M168, Dairy Grazing Manual
- M175, Dairy Grazing: Philosophy of Pasture-Based Dairying
- M176, Dairy Grazing: Genetics of the Grazing Cow
- M188, Dairy Grazing: Milk Quality
- M192, Dairy Grazing: Economics of Pasture-Based Dairies
- M193, Dairy Grazing: Dairy Career Paths
- MWPS7, Dairy Freestall Housing and Equipment
You may be interested in these related publications: