4-H College and Career Pathways Conference | Youth Futures and Juntos
Next conference: Summer 2023
University of Missouri
Are you thinking of college?
Do you have lots of questions?
If you answered yes to these questions, then consider this exciting four day conference!
You will have a campus experience with overnight stays on the University of Missouri-Columbia and Lincoln University campuses. You'll stay in college dorms so you can get the feel of what it's like to live on campus.
- Learn about financial aid
- Attend workshops
- Attend social events
- Take practice ACT tests
- Discover student programs
- Learn enrollment procedures
- Participate in panel sessions
- Visit MU and LU colleges (such as Engineering and Journalism)
Are you ready? If these criteria apply, you are ready for Youth Futures.
- You must be connected to University of Missouri Extension and/or Lincoln University Extension programs.
- You must be a current high school student and have completed at least the 8th grade.
- You must have financial need.
- You are a first-generation college student.
- You need help in understanding the process of applying to and being admitted to college, and being successful in college.
Youth Futures sponsors
University of Missouri Extension
Missouri 4-H Center for Youth Development
Funding provided by
Missouri 4-H Foundation
MU Deputy Chancellor – Diversity Fund
MU Vice Provost for Extension
Lincoln University Cooperative Extension
What is the cost to attend the conference?
If you are chosen to attend the Youth Futures Conference, your fees have already been paid. Fees that have been paid for you include: housing, meals, activities, and all program activities. The only out-of-pocket expense is the cost of a meal at a fast food restaurant.
What are the benefits of attending the conference?
- Become familiar with college life
- Learn about college enrollment procedures
- Learn about applying for and receiving financial aid
- Attend workshops and activities designed to help you succeed in college
- Take a practice ACT test to help you prepare for college applications
- Receive a lifelong appreciation for the college experience
- Understand that college is an obtainable goal
What happens after I attend the conference?
Your youth worker, or mentor, will contact you at least four times a year to talk about preparing for college. He or she will help you as you make college plans such as applying for college and financial aid, determining your course of study in college and other things you wish to discuss. We want to know that you are succeeding in your pursuit of a college degree.
What do former youth participants say about what they learned during their Youth Futures experience?
"That attitude is everything. I can do it!"
"All your high school years count; scholarships are easy to get if you study hard."
"I knew college was important but I'm going off earlier than planned."
"I am happy that I got the privilege to attend this conference."
How do I apply for the conference?
Contact Kellie Seals or call 573-884-9112.
Experiences and evaluations
Our Youth Futures experience
by Maggie R. D’Agostino, Youth Futures participant
We will look back for years to come,
to remember the adventure we dared to take.
We were the first ones,
and we won't be the last.
The first time we said hello and found our rooms,
how unsure some of us felt not knowing many of you.
That first meal we just looked at each other,
but the last meal comes too soon.
The things we learned we shall pass on,
to new generations to come.
The fun and laughter and what we thought were hard times,
we will recall in the best of ways.
We held together like a family without a care,
and only knew each other for such little time.
The bond we made through those six days,
we will never forget.
The tears we shared will always be choice topic.
The last night we spent together,
followed by the last day.
We will remember how hard it was to say good-bye,
it will be forever etched in our hearts.