For faculty and staff
Linking to external websites
The University of Missouri Extension website provides our citizens with easy access to research-based information and programs. The foremost goals of our Web presence are 1. delivering research-based knowledge from the University of Missouri and 2. showcasing the educational programs, materials and resources available through MU Extension.
On occasion, when it may be necessary to link to an external source, follow these guidelines:
Linking to external sources is recommended as a supplement to our own material and is prioritized by:
- other land-grant universities;
- valid government sources (e.g., www.mypyramid.gov or www.consumer.gov);
- research-based nonprofit institutions (e.g., American Heart Association);
- and other sources only if they are carefully screened and deemed to be research-based,
- unbiased information in a context that does not promote a specific product, point of view, religion, political agenda, etc.
Before referring clients to an external URL, review the site carefully and only give out the URL if it contains information that you would be willing to endorse.
If you cannot provide information from MU sources, other land-grant sources or reviewed government sources, refer the client to a search engine to do their own research.