February 18, 2014; registration deadline is February 10
Officially called University of Missouri Alumni Alliance Legislative Day, it is a day designated for supporters and advocates of the university to visit the state capitol and talk to our legislators.
All county, regional and state extension council members, program clients and volunteers, and retirees are encouraged to participate. The purpose is to
- thank legislators for their support of University of Missouri and MU Extension,
- share examples of how MU Extension has improved your life, and
- share examples of public value and positive impacts to local economies and communities across the state.
Schedule of activities
- 7:30–10 a.m. — Registration (third floor rotunda)
- 7:30–9 a.m. — Continental breakfast, sponsored by the University of Missouri Extension State Council for legislators, council members, volunteers, faculty/staff, retirees and other extension supporters (Senate Alcove)
UM System Displays are open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 8–9:30 a.m. — Visits to legislators on your own
- 9:30 a.m. — Rally for all Legislative day attendees (First Floor Rotunda)
- 10:30 a.m.–12:45 p.m. — In-Service Education Session for MU Extension faculty at G2 Gallery, 102 E. High Street
- 11 a.m.–12:45 p.m. — Box lunches available – ($10 per lunch, advanced registration is required.) (Third Floor Rotunda)
- 1:00 p.m —Legislative Issues panel. Location to be determined
- 1:15–3:00 p.m. Meeting for all county, regional and state extension council members, faculty and staff, sponsored by Extension State Council (G2 Gallery, 102 E. High Street)
- 2:00 p.m. — Day ends officially; you may continue legislative visits if desired.
Participants are asked to make appointments with legislators prior to Legislative Day. If you are unable to do so, drop-in visits are acceptable.
Talking to legislators
What to communicate about MU Extension
The MU Extension stakeholder relations committee has prepared a variety of resources to help you prepare for talking to your legislators. You will receive a packet when you check in at the registration table on the third floor rotunda with information. Come prepared to tell how Extension has impacted your life or your community, Real life stories with authentic impact are well received by the legislators.
Transportation and parking
University of Missouri Extension supporters will carpool to the event. Contact your local Extension Center.
Link to parking map in Jefferson City http://oa.mo.gov/fmdc/facilitiesoperations/ccprk1.htm
Faculty participating in the in-service education session (ISE)
All faculty attending Legislative Day are encouraged to participate in a midday ISE, details to be announced. ISE will be held at G2 Gallery 102 E High St., Jefferson City, Mo.
Registration for the ISE is completed in WebApps. Select the Legislative Day ISE, and click “sign me up!” Your registration includes your box lunch reservation. You do not need to send the form below.
All other participants: complete and submit the registration form below
Registration form (fillable PDF)
If you have trouble filling in this form, please try to save the file to your hard drive, then open it with Adobe Reader. Highlighted fields must be filled in before submitting.
To submit by email, save the filled-in form to your computer, then attach it to an email message and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: If you submit your registration by email, you will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you do not, please contact Meridith Berry at email@example.com or 660-359-4040 ext 8.
If you prefer to send it in the mail with your check, fill out the form then print it.
Please remit a check for your lunch ($10) payable to UMEA as soon as possible to Meridith Berry, Grundy County Extension; 700 Main, Suite 2; Trenton, MO 64683. You may also send registration and check by mail.