Hay in the Ozarks Tour
The Taney County Extension and Branson Bank are partnering to offer "Hay in the Ozarks" tour scheduled on Thursday, April 17, 2014 beginning at 4:30 p.m. at the Joe Smith Farm, 945 Smith Road in Taneyville (program flyer). This program will focus on the costs of making hay, making quality hay, hayfield improvement, hay barn feasibility and construction, getting a handle on hay losses and making haylage. There will also be a tube liner on-hand and representatives from Larson Farm and Lawn will be available to discuss how to use a tube-liner.
A dinner will begin after the tour at approximately 6:30 p.m. at the Taneyville School and is hosted by Branson Bank. Participants should pre-register by April 14th by calling Susie Meffor at Branson Bank (417) 546-6790 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free Tax Preparation Available Through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites (VITA)
The Stone and Taney county Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites will be opening at the end of January. We will start accepting appointments on January 15, 2014. In the event of bad weather and the area schools are closed, we do not have these volunteers come in and the sites will be closed. You will need to call and reschedule. Taxpayers with an average gross income of $52,000 or less are eligible for free tax preparation and may be eligible for the earned income credit. We do not do business taxes, itemized deductions or capital gains or losses. If you have any of these you should see a paid preparer. Click on links below to see the site flyers for more information.
Stone County Taney County
Want your taxes prepared for FREE? Be sure to bring:
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, each of your dependent children, and anyone other dependants on your tax return
- Form W-2 for every job you or your spouse worked in 2013
- A voided personal check, if you want your refund directly deposited
- Your 2012 tax return (optional)
In 2013, did you…
- Receive unemployment compensation? Bring your Form 1099G
- Pay for child care? Bring the total you paid for child care expenses and the name, address, and Tax ID/last 4 numbers of Social Security Number of the child care provider
- Pay student loan interest? Bring the total of the student loan interest you paid
- Pay for tuition? Bring Form 1098 for you, your spouse, and/or dependent children
Did you know you can file a free federal and state return if your income in 2013 was $58,000 or less?
Civil Rights Notification- please read before starting (IRS.gov): http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4053esp.pdf
Have a QUESTION while you are preparing your return? Certified tax coaches can help. Contact us:
- By Phone: 855-698-9435
- By E-Mail: email@example.com
- Assistors will be answering questions from Monday-Saturday 8 AM – 9 PM CST
- *Questions are answered in the order that they are received
- **Responses are provided within 24 hours (except on weekends; more complex questions may require additional research.
To e-file your 2013 tax return or other electronic forms, you must verify your identity with your Self-Select PIN or Adjusted Gross Income from your 2012 tax return. Electronic filing PIN request: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request
Get help: Interactive tax assistant: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Interactive-Tax-Assistant-(ITA)-1
Optional- link to Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): FAFSA application page: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm
Return accepted by IRS? Click Here for Where’s My Refund (IRS.gov): http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/Where's-My-Refund-It's-Quick,-Easy,-and-Secure
Proceed to MyFree Taxes website: www.MyFreeTaxes.com/MoTax
'Brown Bag Lunch' Gardening Series
The Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will be hosting their 'Brown Bag Lunch' gardening series again this year. Classes will be held on the first Tuesday of each month at noon in the demonstration garden located at the Taney County MU Extension Office in Forsyth. These classes are free and open to the public, so pack your lunch and join them in the garden for these casual, informative programs. This year they will be introducing two new Saturday classes that will begin at 10 a.m. also. Brown Bag Lunch Garden Series flyer
This year's topics are:
- Saturday, March 29 - Blue Barrel Gardening
- Tuesday, April 1 - Rain Gardens and Native Plants
- Tuesday, May 6 - Container Gardens
- Tuesday, June 3 - Ideas for Herbs
- Tuesday, July 1 - Lasagna Gardening
- Tuesday, August 5 - Butterfly Gardening
- Tuesday, September 9 - Raised Bed / Winter Gardening
- Saturday, October 4 - Pass Along Plants
The Healthy Families Taskforce of Stone and Taney Counties maintains a list of recommended community resources on their website: http://healthyfamiliestaskforce.webs.com/apps/links/