Interested in Joining the Missouri Cattlemens Association?
There will be a public meeting to assess the interest in organizing a Cattlemens Association for Taney and surrounding counties. The meeting will be held in the Taneyville School cafeteria on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Anyone interested in improving herd health, breeding methods, forage quality and selection, regulations and laws are encouraged to attend. Dinner will be provided by Tri-Lakes Motors. Call the Taney County extension center to register at 417-546-4431. Program flyer.
- Dinner provided by Tri-Lakes Motors
- Missouri Cattlemens Association Membership Information - Keven Johansen, Manager of Membership
- Marketing Your Livestock in a Changing Market - Josh Ford, Representative from Springfield Livestock Marketing Center.
Private Pesticide Training
Tim Schnakenberg, regional agronomy specialist will be offering a "Private Pesticide Applicator" training on Friday, February 19, 2016 at 1:00 p.m. in the Taneyville Municipal building. The training will last 2 1/2 to 3 hours. This training provides certification to obtain a Missouri Private Pesticide Applicators license for agriculture producers and will also count as recertification requirements by the state. Must be 18 years or older. There will be a $15 charge for the cost of materials. If you already own and can bring with you the Missouri Private Pesticide Applicator Reference manual (M87-printed in 2007 with blue lettering on the front), there will be a reduction in cost of $12. If weather is an issue, please call 417-546-4431 to confirm the program will be held. For information on training sessions being held in neighboring counties see SW Private Pesticide Applicator training. For more information or to register please call the extension center at 417-546-4431.
Taney County Livestock & Forage Conference
The Taney County Livestock and Forage conference will be held on Thursday, February 25, 2016 at the Forsyth High School from 6:00-9:00 p.m. There will be a $5.00 charge this year to cover expenses. Branson Bank, First Community Bank of the Ozarks, Southern Bank and ABS Sires are sponsoring the dinner. Dinner will be held in the cafeteria and the rest of the program will be held in the performing arts building. Program highlights:
- Understanding Expected Progeny Difference (EPDS) and Timed Artificial Insemination (AI) - Dave Patterson, State Beef Specialist
- Fine-Tuning Your Forage Fertility Program - Tim Schnakenberg, Regional Agronomy Specialist
- Poisonous Plants in the Pasture - Colin Hill, Agronomy Graduate Assistant
The registration form is attached to the program flyer. Registration deadline is Monday, February 22nd. For more information call the Taney County MU Extension center at 417-546-4431.
Spring Gardening Workshop
The Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will present their "Spring Gardening Workshop" on Saturday, March 5, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Faith Lutheran Church, 221 Malone Drive, in Branson. Cost per person for all sessions and lunch is $20. Registration form is attached to program flyer or on-line registration is available at http://mgozarks.com/.
- Things that Bite & Sting in the Gardener - Dr. Tom Riley, Entomologist and Master Gardener, Forsyth
- What's New in the Nursery - Dow Whiting, Garden Adventures, Nixa
- Tips & Tricks for Vegetable Gardening - Tim Reinbott, Bradford Research Center, Columbia
- Wild Edibles - Tamara Walkingstick, Ph.D., Arkansas Forest Resources Center, Little Rock
- Creating a Garden Sanctuary - Tom Lakowske, Alta Birdsong, Springfield
Vendors will offer plants and horticulture related merchandise.
2016 Taney County Regional Hay School
We will be offering an all day Regional Hay School on Saturday, March 19, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the basement of the Community Presbyterian Church, 271 Main Street in Forsyth. Registration is $20 and lunch is included and provided by First Community Bank of the Ozarks and Southern Bank. Registration form is on attached program flyer. Registration deadline is Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
- Forage Quality; Hay Testing
- Hay Fertility Management
- Economics of Hay Production
- Forages for Southwest Missouri Hay
- Hay Storage and Feeding Management
- Hay and Baleage Harvest Systems
- Pest Management and Scouting Techniques
- Meeting the Nutritional Needs of Cattle
- Alfalfa Management
For more information please contact the Taney County Extension center at 417-546-4431.
FREE Tax Preparation- Taney County Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites to Open January 25
Beginning Jan 19, call 417-546-4431 to make an appointment for free tax preparation.
University of Missouri Extension's Taney County Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites will be open according to the following schedule for 2016:
Mondays and Tuesdays, Taney County OACAC,9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., 610 S. Sixth St., Branson
Tuesdays, OTC- Hollister, 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., 10698 Historic Hwy 165, Hollister
- Wednesdays, Taney County MU Extension Center, 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 122 Felkins Avenue, Forsyth
Who can get Free Tax Preparation and the Earned Income Credit?
- Taxpayers with an AGI of $54,000 or less can get Free Tax Preparation
- Families meeting additional requirements are eligible for a credit of up to $6,242
Volunteers are not trained to do business taxes, itemized taxes or capital gains and losses. If you have any of these you should see a paid preparer.
Want your taxes prepared for FREE? Be sure to bring:
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and each of your dependent children
- Form W-2 for every job you or your spouse worked in 2015
- A personal check (for checking account and routing number), if you want your refund directly deposited
- If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace, bring your form 1095-A
- If you have a Marketplace granted health coverage exemption, bring your exemption certificate number
- Your 2014 tax return (optional)
In 2015, did you…
- Receive unemployment compensation? Bring your Form 1099G
- Pay for child care? Bring the total you paid for child care expenses and the name, address, and Tax ID/Social Security Number of the child care provider
To file your own tax return for free- see link on the left.
An integral part of the 4-H mission is the emphasis on experimental learning or "learning by doing." this will be the focus of the Science Saturday programs at the Taneyhills Community Library in Branson on the first Saturday of each month at 10:30 a.m. from September 2015 through May 2016. The free science programs are developed for youth ages 8 to 18 and open to the community. Rocketry will be one of the topics of Science Saturdays along with GPS, sports fishing, food science, photography and more. Each of the programs will be hands-on and the participants are encouraged to check out a book on the program's subject afterwards. For more information contact Willa Williams, 4-H youth development specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 417-546-4431. See attached flyer for program schedule.
Do you need an answer?
The faculty and staff of the Taney county extension center are available to assist you with research-based information on a variety of topics. If you can't find what you are looking for on our website, give us a call at 417-546-4431 or send an email to email@example.com.