Building Better Child Care Classes
Taney County human development specialist, Dr. Jim Wirth will be holding a 4-part series again this year to help area child care providers obtain the continuing education hours. Classes will be held once a month for four months and are each three hours long beginning in August. Sessions are $15 per session, handouts and refreshments will be provided. Classes will be held in the White River Valley Electric Cooperative community room from 6-9 p.m. Class brochure and registration form attached.
- Session 1 - Thursday, August 25, 2016 - "Is There a Vaccine to Cure Rudeness? Empathy/Civility as an Antidote to Rudeness" and "Teaching Children Respect & Tolerance"
- Session 2 - Thursday, September 15, 2016 - "Five Key Factors for Strengthening Families: Building Strong Parents and Stable Children"
- Session 3 - Thursday, October 20, 2016 - "Conflict Management" and "Learning Disabilities and Social Skills"
- Session 4 - Thursday, November 17, 2016 - "Creating Special Moments with Infants and Toddlers" and Building Relationships with Children and Youth Who Challenge Us"
Master Gardener Fall Gardening Workshop
The Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will host their 13th annual Fall Gardening Workshop on Saturday, September 24, 2016 at the Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, 71 Kimberling Boulevard, Kimberling City, MO. Doors will open at 8 a.m. for registration, venders booths and a continental breakfast. Workshops run from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Flyer registration form.
- Evening Gardens, Oscar Cross, Hilltop Gardens, Ash Grove
- Lavender: Beautiful and Beneficial, Catherine Bersted - Lavender Hills Farm, Clever
- Vegetable Cultivars for the Ozarks, Mike Flynn - Master Gardeners of the Ozarks
- Fruitful Machinations: The Amazing Relationships of Plants and Pollinators, Dr. Chris Barnhart, MSU, Springfield
- Landscapes in Miniature, Lee Coates, Peggy's Flowers, Highlandville
Registration is $20 per person and includes all session and lunch. Registration deadline is September 20, 2016. You may register online on the Master Gardeners of the Ozarks website www.mgozarks.com or by mail. Send checks to Stone County MU Extension Center, P.O. Box 345, Galena, MO 65656. Please make checks payable to the Master Gardeners of the Ozarks.
Master Gardeners of the Ozarks Brown Bag Lunch Garden Series
Pack your lunch and join the Master Gardeners in their demonstration gardens at the Taney County University of Missouri Extension center. Classes are held on the third Tuesday of the month starting in April. Programs begin at noon and run approximately 1 hour. Program Flyer
- April 19 - New Plants to Try This Season
- May 17 - The Ozarks: Perfect Place for Berries
- June 21 - Wild Edibles
- July 19 - Rock Gardening with Succulents
- August 16 - First Aid Kit from the Garden
- September 20 - Vegetables for Your Fall Garden
Master Gardeners of the Ozarks Saturday Classes:
September 24, 2016 - Monarch Migration & Tagging Program, 10 a.m. in the Demonstration Gardener located at the Taney County MU Extension Center. Retired professor of Entomology and Master Gardener, Tom Riley, will discuss the annual migration of the monarch butterfly and ways that you can assist them as they travel through Missouri. They will demonstrate how to capture, tag, and release monarch butterflies using tags from Monarch Watch. Tagging kits will be available to the first 40 attendees/families. A limited number of nets will also be available on a first come first serve basis. This program is free and open to the public as a community service of the Master Gardeners of the Ozarks. For further information contact the Taney County MU Extension center at 417-546-4431 or see attached program flyer.
Key Facts About myRA
Many people want to save, but haven't found an easy way to get started. According to a 2015 Federal Reserve Report, 31 percent of non-retired people said they have not retirement savings or pension whatsoever. The U.S. Department of the Treasury developed myRA to make it easy for people to start saving for the future. Visit myRA.gov or the attached myRA fact sheet for information on who is eligible, how it works, how to start saving.
Do you need an answer?
The faculty and staff of the Taney county extension center are available to assist you with research-based information on a variety of topics. If you can't find what you are looking for on our website, give us a call at 417-546-4431 or send an email to email@example.com.