Free Tax Preparation Available Through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites (VITA)
The Stone and Taney county Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites will be opening at the end of January. We will start accepting appointments on January 15, 2014. In the event of bad weather and the area schools are closed, we do not have these volunteers come in and the sites will be closed. You will need to call and reschedule. Taxpayers with an average gross income of $52,000 or less are eligible for free tax preparation and may be eligible for the earned income credit. We do not do business taxes, itemized deductions or capital gains or losses. If you have any of these you should see a paid preparer. Click on links below to see the site flyers for more information.
Stone County Taney County
Want your taxes prepared for FREE? Be sure to bring:
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, each of your dependent children, and anyone other dependants on your tax return
- Form W-2 for every job you or your spouse worked in 2013
- A voided personal check, if you want your refund directly deposited
- Your 2012 tax return (optional)
In 2013, did you…
- Receive unemployment compensation? Bring your Form 1099G
- Pay for child care? Bring the total you paid for child care expenses and the name, address, and Tax ID/last 4 numbers of Social Security Number of the child care provider
- Pay student loan interest? Bring the total of the student loan interest you paid
- Pay for tuition? Bring Form 1098 for you, your spouse, and/or dependent children
Did you know you can file a free federal and state return if your income in 2013 was $58,000 or less?
Civil Rights Notification- please read before starting (IRS.gov): http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4053esp.pdf
Have a QUESTION while you are preparing your return? Certified tax coaches can help. Contact us:
- By Phone: 855-698-9435
- By E-Mail: email@example.com
- Assistors will be answering questions from Monday-Saturday 8 AM – 9 PM CST
- *Questions are answered in the order that they are received
- **Responses are provided within 24 hours (except on weekends; more complex questions may require additional research.
To e-file your 2013 tax return or other electronic forms, you must verify your identity with your Self-Select PIN or Adjusted Gross Income from your 2012 tax return. Electronic filing PIN request: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request
Get help: Interactive tax assistant: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Interactive-Tax-Assistant-(ITA)-1
Optional- link to Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): FAFSA application page: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm
Return accepted by IRS? Click Here for Where’s My Refund (IRS.gov): http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/Where's-My-Refund-It's-Quick,-Easy,-and-Secure
Proceed to MyFree Taxes website: www.MyFreeTaxes.com/MoTax
Taney County Livestock & Forage Conference
The annual Taney County Livestock and Forage conference will be held on Thursday, February 27, 2014 in the Forsyth High School Cafeteria from 6-9 p.m. A meal will be provided at this meeting courtesy of the Branson Bank, First Community Bank of the Ozarks and Peoples Bank of the Ozarks. To register please call the Taney County MU Extension office at 417-546-4431 by February 24th. Program flyer
This year's topics will be:
- Beef Cattle Selection
- Evaluation the Cost of Retaining Heifers
- A Look at Some Developing Pasture Weeds
This program is made possible by the Taney County Extension Council and the Taney County Commission.
Master Gardeners of the Ozarks - Spring Gardening Workshop
The Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will be presenting their annual Spring Gardening Workshop on Saturday, March 8, 2014 from 9:30 a.m. until 2:15 p.m. at the Faith Lutheran Church, 221 Malone, Branson, MO. Advanced registration is required. Cost per person for all sessions and lunch is $18. The workshop includes a catered lunch by Carefee Catering in Branson.
- Let's Get Started - Composting and Getting to Know Your Soil
- Growing a Flower Garden in the Ozarks
- Insects in the Garden - The Good, the Bad and the Interesting
- College of the Ozarks Cooking Demonstration
On-line registration is encouraged and available at http://mgozarks.com or if you would prefer to mail in your registration please use the attached flyer, Spring Gardening Workshop. Registration deadline is March 4, 2014. For more information call 417-357-6812.
Private Pesticide Applicator Training
Tim Schnakenberg, Agronomy Specialist will be holding a private pesticide applicator training on Friday, March 14, 2014 at the Taneyville Municiple Building beginning at 1 a.m. This training provides certification to obtain a Private Pesticide Applicators License for agriculture producers and will also serve the recertification requirements mandated by the state of Missouri. Participants must be 18 years or older. The training will last approximately 3 hours. To register or for more information call the Taney County MU Extension center at 417-546-4431. Program Flyer
There is a $15 charge to cover the cost of the Missouri Private Pesticide Applicator Reference Manual (M87 - printed in 2007 with blue lettering on the front) and other program handouts. If you already own this manual, please bring it with you and the class will only cost $3.00.
'Brown Bag Lunch' Gardening Series
The Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will be hosting their 'Brown Bag Lunch' gardening series again this year. Classes will be held on the first Tuesday of each month at noon in the demonstration garden located at the Taney County MU Extension Office in Forsyth. These classes are free and open to the public, so pack your lunch and join them in the garden for these casual, informative programs. This year they will be introducing two new Saturday classes that will begin at 10 a.m. also. Brown Bag Lunch Garden Series flyer
This year's topics are:
- Saturday, March 29 - Blue Barrel Gardening
- Tuesday, April 1 - Rain Gardens and Native Plants
- Tuesday, May 6 - Container Gardens
- Tuesday, June 3 - Ideas for Herbs
- Tuesday, July 1 - Lasagna Gardening
- Tuesday, August 5 - Butterfly Gardening
- Tuesday, September 9 - Raised Bed / Winter Gardening
- Saturday, October 4 - Pass Along Plants
The Healthy Families Taskforce of Stone and Taney Counties maintains a list of recommended community resources on their website: http://healthyfamiliestaskforce.webs.com/apps/links/