QuickBooks for county bookkeepers
County extension offices use QuickBooks Pro for council financial record-keeping and reporting.
Report due dates
MCHCP Subsidy Report due Jan. 15 and July 15
Export the MCHCP reports in an Excel spreadsheet (XLSX file), send to Tamra Robbins
Annual Revenue and Expense Summary Report
Due at conclusion of end-of-year accounting review. Report will be generated by the QuickBooks reviewer.
Annual Budget Reports - March 1
Export report in CSV format to Excel.
Send to regional director's office.
Mary Ann Horvath provides training and technical support to county bookkeepers. There are designated regional trainers who are experienced with bookkeeping and can provide training or answer questions.
Frequently needed resources
Tools for resolving problems
Quickbooks procedures by topic
- QuickBooks Pro 2010 Features (PDF) — Modified June 15, 2012
- QuickBooks Updates and Upgrade (PDF) — Modified Oct. 1, 2012
- QuickBooks Backup (PDF) — Modified Oct. 1, 2012
- Restore QuickBooks Backup File (PDF) — Modified Oct. 12, 2012
- Authorized User Login Names (PDF) — Modified Sept. 2000
- Change Company Information (PDF) — Modified Oct. 1, 2012
- Bank Reconciliation (PDF) — Modified June 24, 2011
- Create a New Account (PDF) — Modified Sept. 12, 2007
- Create a New class (PDF) — Modified Dec. 8, 2010
- Fee Generation Distribution (PDF) — Modified Oct. 9, 2012
- Fixed Assets Inventory
- General Journal (PDF) — Modified Nov. 5, 2013
- Petty Cash Fund (PDF) — Modified Jan. 10, 2012
- Postage Allotment and LAN Internet Expense (PDF) — Modified Sept. 4, 2013
- Tracking Postage Fund Expenses
- QuickBooks Shortcuts and Tidbits (PDF) — Modified Dec. 2001
- Recording Bad Checks (returned checks) (PDF) — Modified July 30, 2007
- Restructure the Class Codes (PDF) — Modified Dec. 8, 2010
- Voiding Transactions (PDF) — Modified June 10, 2013
Submit the annual budget report to your regional director's office by March 1 as an email attachment in CSV format for review and approval.
The approved budgets in CSV format are uploaded to MU Extension before the university's deadline. The information submitted is compiled into statewide totals for both internal review and federal reporting. FTEs supported at the County level are also reported with the budget each year.
MU Off-Campus Credit Card System
Payroll plan subscriptions
Payroll plan subscribers
Non-payroll plan subscribers
Basic A payroll subscribers
Enhanced A and B payroll subscribers
Payroll taxes and forms
- 1099 Tax Form Setup (PDF) — Modified Jan 21, 2014
- 941_944 Forms (PDF) — Modified Dec. 17, 2008
- 941 Federal Tax Adjustment (PDF) — Modified Sept. 24, 2009
- IRS Employer's Tax Guide (Circular E) (PDF) — 2014
- Federal Tax Forms (PDF) — Modified Dec. 17, 2008
- Federal Tax Online (PDF) — Modified Jan. 7, 2011
- Federal Tax Payment Changes for 2011 (PDF) — Modified Mar. 29, 2011
- Set Up State Unemployment Tax (PDF) (also Interest Assessment) — Modified June 26, 2013
- State Taxes Online (PDF) — Modified April 1, 2010
- Medicare Additional Tax-Employee (PDF) — Modified Oct. 4, 2013
- Missouri Department of Revenue: Employer Withholding
Tax tables are available on this page
- Missouri DOR: Business Withholding Tax Forms
- Missouri DOR: Reporting Miscellaneous Income
- W2 Form guidelines (PDF) — Modified Dec. 17, 2007
- IRS Form W-4 and instructions (PDF)
Payroll tax and benefit liabilities
Payroll summary report
Instead of using the Payroll Voucher forms, Bookkeepers can create a Payroll Summary Report for each employee. Under Employee Center, select employee name and click Payroll Summary at top right corner of screen.
Quick Reports — Look for the Quick Reports button in most screens, or right click on the item name and left click on Quick Report. Quick Reports may be created for:
- Customer (Exception: A customer transaction created directly in the Make Deposit screen may not display in a Quick Report. This "glitch" has been reported to Intuit.)
- Vendor, Employee, Class, and Account.
The following reports are recommended for validating monthly financial data:
Funds Class Balance Report
Balance Sheet (compare to Funds Class Balance report)
Unclassified Transactions (for error checking)
- Customizing Reports in QuickBooks (PDF), — Modified Oct. 27, 2004
- Funds (Class) Balance Report Configuration (PDF), — Modified Oct. 27, 2004
- Savings Report Configuration (PDF), — Modified Oct. 27, 2004
- Unclassified Transaction Report Configuration (PDF), — Modified Oct. 27, 2004
- Annual Revenue & Expense Report All Classes Combined (PDF), — Modified Dec. 5, 2012
- Export Annual Revenue and Expense Report (PDF), — Modified Dec. 5, 2012
- Balance Sheet configuration — Modified Sept. 24, 2012
- Create New Deposit Reports (PDF) — Modified Dec. 9, 2013
- Financial Report Distribution (PDF) — Modified Dec. 5, 2012
- Outline of Financial Reports and Documents for CPDs (PDF) — Modified June 24, 2011
How to transfer money from one bank account to another bank account; one class to another class; one revenue account to another revenue; one expense account to another expense.