For faculty and staff

County Secretary Benefits Programs


Notify the MU Extension plan administrator as soon as possible when:

  • a new secretary is employed
  • a secretary leaves employment
  • a secretary's regular weekly work hours increases to 30 or more, or decreases to less than 30 hours per week, thus changing benefit eligibility status; or
  • a secretary takes a leave of absence without pay.

Plan enrollment

  1. Contact MU Extension plan administrator to initiate new employee benefit enrollment process.
  2. Review retirement and health plan descriptions.

Health care

Counties should contact the health care provider (for employer-provided health insurance) of their choice for complete benefit information. The MU Extension subsidy applies only to health coverage. Dental and vision premiums are the county and/or employee's responsibility.

If coverage changes occur during the year, the health care provider and MU Extension plan administrator should be notified as soon as possible about the coverage change.

MCHCP information

  • Counties with existing MCHCP account, call 1-800-487-0771. An MCHCP representative will provide information on the plans available in your area and review the benefit summary. Provider directories can be found online at
  • Counties without an existing account, call 1-800-701-8881 to learn if MCHCP is accepting new business (writing new plans). If MCHCP is accepting new business, it is preferred that the MCHCP Application for Participation be submitted at least 30 days prior to the effective date of coverage for new accounts. However, it is recommended that a 60 day time frame be allowed for the entire enrollment process.
  • Enrollment forms should be submitted to MCHCP. Forms received in MCHCP's office prior to the 14th day of the month may be effective on the Public Entity's next bill. Forms received after the 14th day of the month will take longer to process. It may take several months before changes are reflected on MCHCP invoices. Initial invoices may include costs for several months of coverage.
  • An MCHCP Enroll/Cancel/Waive/Change form should be submitted to MCHCP as soon as possible, when a change occurs. The MU Extension plan administrator should also be notified at the same time about the coverage change.
  • Health plan providers will send identification cards within two to four weeks of enrollment. Enrollees will also receive an MCHCPid and PIN. Use these numbers when corresponding with MCHCP. Check out the available information on MCHCP's website at, and view your personal information through myMCHCP.


An enrollment must be completed before any secretary, county or extension contribution may be made. To enroll, go to the NRS website and select "Enroll." Secretaries may enroll online or elect to complete a paper form (select appropriate link on the website). Employer ID is 0038730. Once enrolled (either by online or paper), the secretary should notify the MU Extension plan administrator that an enrollment has been completed.

Once enrolled and with the county extension council agreement, the secretary may elect to have pre-tax payroll deductions withheld from the paycheck. These monies, with any county extension councils, should be documented on a remittance form (XLSX) and sent to the MU Extension plan administrator by the 20th of each month.