Embedding a Facebook activity feed
If you post to your Facebook page regularly, a feed on your Web page can serve as an easy way to post announcements on Facebook and your Web page with one action. However, if you don’t post regularly, it will show that the last post was weeks or months ago, so it will be very obvious that there isn’t anything new.
So, assuming you will post regularly, here are the steps to add a Facebook “Like box” to your page.
- Copy the address of your Facebook page to your clipboard. It should look like this:
- Go to this page: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/like-box-for-pages
- Paste your Facebook URL into the first field (Facebook Page URL)
- Change the width to 360
- Take the check out of “Show friends’ faces” – this takes up unnecessary space and may show inappropriate photos.
- "Use Small Header" or "Hide Cover Photo" could be selected to conserve space.
- Set a height. The minimum is 70. This displays the Facebook logo, link to your page and a like button. A larger number will display more of your feed.
- Click "Get Code"
- Click “Iframe”
- Click inside the code box and it will highlight all of it. Hit Ctrl-C to copy it to your clipboard
- Go to WebTool and open the page where you want to place the Facebook feed.
- In the Web content tab (page editor), put your cursor where you want the Facebook feed to go. Type something like FACEBOOK (this is temporary)
- Switch to the Source view of your page
- Look for what you typed (FACEBOOK) and highlight the word. Paste the code that you copied from the YouTube site.
How it will look before you paste:
Now paste the code you copied and it should look like this:
- Switch back to the display view (click on Source again). You will NOT see the Facebook feed here. You will just see a blank space. Save your page. Open it in the browser to see if it displays correctly.
If you have any trouble with this process, contact a member of the Web team for assistance.