MU Extension to celebrate College Colors Day Aug. 30
Show your school spirit on College Colors Day, and win a prize! Three MU Extension county offices will win prizes for displaying their Mizzou pride on Aug. 30.
An annual event, national College Colors Day is celebrated the Friday before Labor Day to kick-off the college football season. “The event provides county extension office staff a great opportunity to promote Mizzou and all it has to offer by decorating their offices and wearing black and gold throughout the day,” says Cynthia Crawford, director of donor education.
Here are some ways to show your Mizzou colors on Aug. 30:
- Involve the county extension office staff and volunteers in decorating the office with black and gold, MU Tiger stripes and other items that tell the community that you are part of the University of Missouri.
- Plan how you can use this event to draw people into your center.
- Submit photos of your creative decorating and event techniques for the judges to review. Please send no more than two digital photos to Cynthia Crawford at email@example.com by Sept. 10, 2013. Counties submitting pictures recognize that the pictures may be posted to Colors Days websites and may be used in newsletters. If people are in the photos, please submit their signed photo release forms (available from http://extension.missouri.edu/staff/marketing/copyright.html) along with the photos.
- While you’re at it, send a photo to your local newspaper. Remind people that every business day is an open house at your University of Missouri Extension Center.
Based on the submitted photos, the judges will award the following prizes to the top three extension offices:
- First place — A framed Mizzou print
- Second place — A Mizzou lamp
- Third place — A Mizzou wall clock
Each county office will receive a bag of Mizzou items shortly before Aug. 30 that could be used to decorate for College Colors Day and into the fall season. But don’t feel limited to the items being provided. County offices can order marketing items such as black-and-gold balloons and Mardi Gras beads from the MU Extension Distribution Center, and MU Extension employees can receive a discount at the Mizzou bookstore whether shopping in person or online. (To get your discount online, type "I am a full-time MU employee" in the Coupon or Gift Card box.)
If you are having an open house on Aug. 30 and would like some Mizzou sports schedules and athletic posters to use as giveaways at your event, request them at least two weeks in advance from Sonja Derboven, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MU Tigers open their football season on Aug. 31 with a home game against Murray State. For a complete schedule, see the Mizzou football website.
The extension coordinators for this event are Director of Development Cat Comley and Director of Donor Education Cynthia Crawford.