ADA in extension
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 provides civil right protections to individuals with disabilities. The ADA guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, education, employment, transportation, state and local government services and telecommunications.
This act establishes a clear and comprehensive prohibition of discrimination on the basis of disability.
Context of ADA:
- Forty-three million Americans have one or more physical or mental disability. This number is increasing as the population as a whole is growing older.
- Historically, society has tended to isolate and segregate individuals with disabilities. Despite some improvements, such forms of discrimination against individuals with disabilities continue to be a serious and pervasive problem.
- Discrimination exists in critical areas (employment, housing public accommodations, transportation, recreations and access to public services).
- Before this act, these individuals had no real legal recourse.
- Basically the goal is to ensure that equality of opportunity, full participation, independent living, and economic self sufficiency for such individuals.
The act was created for the following purposes:
- To provide a mandate for elimination of discrimination against individuals with disabilities
- To provide clear, strong, consistent, enforceable standards addressing discrimination against individuals with disabilities
- To ensure that the federal government plays a central role in enforcing the standards established by the act
What does this mean for the University of Missouri Extension?
MU Extension will take the following actions to ensure equity and access according to ADA guidelines:
- Not discriminate against anyone with a disability
- Provide reasonable accommodations
- Provide appropriate EEO statement in our literature
- Ask if any requires special accommodations
- Work to resolve any issues in a cooperative and collaborative manner
ADA guidelines for MU syllabi and publications
Suggested statement for Extension materials, approved by the MU ADA office:
If you need special accommodations because of a disability, or if you need materials in an alternative format, please inform me immediately. I may be contacted at _________
On the first day of your class, session or workshop, please make the following announcement or place it at the bottom of the session agenda or overview:
If you have emergency medical information to share with me, or if you need special arrangements in case the building must be evacuated, please inform me immediately.