Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses
The following abstract describes a publication that is only available for purchase. A link to ordering information is on this page.
This publication brings the business planning process alive to help today's alternative and sustainable agriculture entrepreneurs transform farm-grown inspiration into profitable enterprises. Sample worksheets lend a practical perspective. Blank worksheets help the reader develop a detailed, lender-ready business plan or map out strategies to take advantage of new opportunities.
Sustainable agriculture refers to an agricultural production and distribution system that:
- Achieves the integration of natural biological cycles and controls,
- Protects and renews soil fertility and the natural resource base,
- Optimizes the management and use of on-farm resources,
- Reduces the use of nonrenewable resources and purchased production inputs,
- Provides an adequate and dependable farm income,
- Promotes opportunity in family farming and farm communities, and
- Minimizes adverse impacts on health, safety, wildlife, water quality and the environment.
- Set goals
- Researched processing alternatives
- Determined potential markets
- Evaluated financing options
SX1014, new January 2003