Quality for Keeps: Food Preservation
Each workshop will vary, but content will focus on one or more of these topics: preservation method to use for highest quality and safety in home preserved foods; solutions to common canning, freezing and dehydration problems; Hands-on experience with new recipes and sources of the latest research—each workshop will feature different processes and use different produce (chosen by availability). Cost: Each Session is $20, Location: UM Extension Office, 105 E.5th St., Kansas City, MO 64106
- Thursday, April 24, 6-8 p.m. Salsa from Your Garden
- Thursday, May 22, 6-8 p.m. Pressure Canning Summer Produce
- Thursday, June 26, 6-8 p.m. Freezing & Dehydrating Fruit, Veggies, & Jerky
- Thursday, July 10, 6-8 p.m. Salsa from Your Garden
- Thursday, July 24, 6-8 p.m. Making Fantastic Jams & Jellies
- Thursday, August 7, 6-8 p.m. Pressure Canning Summer Produce
- Thursday, August 28, 6-8 p.m. Pickling Vegetables & Fruits
- Thursday, September 18, 6-8 p.m. Pressure Canning Summer Produce
Classes are $20 each. Contact Angie Lanigan, email@example.com or Karen Elliott, firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-482-5850.
Mind Mapping from Extension Council
Platte County University of Missouri Extension Council looked at three educational themes developed for statewide programming in the next 2-3 years. Please review and reply with your specific ideas or programs or locations or volunteer to work with council and staff to plan, develop and implement.
MU Theme Area: Educational Attainment
- Programs for 50+
- Expand 4-H Conference on Global Careers to include K-12 schools around other areas than Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- Partnership with Higher Education to develop noncredit stackable classes that will lead to credit
- Expand Character Council program to all county high schools
MU Theme area: Environmental Concerns
- Education on the economic and environmental value of a sustainable environment
- Maintain and sustain ecosystems
- Develop informational programs for seniors on benefits, health, finances resource package
- Work with other agencies to develop health programs in underserved communities of Platte
- Market existing programs like “field to table or pantry’ or the value of eating, growing and preserving organic foods
University of Missouri Extension- Kansas City Office Winter Calendar of Events
Growing and Cooking Vegetables in Your Garden
Practical tips for growing vegetables you can plant in cool weather. Storage information and new ideas for preparation will also be shared. Class will include sampling of these vegetables. To register for this class please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org . Register at 816-482-5850.
Cost: Each Session is $10, Location: UM Extension Office, 105 E.5th St., Kansas City, MO 64106
Thursday May 8, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Topic: Growing, Storing, and Preparing Green Beans
Missouri Century Farm
The 2014 Missouri Century Farm applications are available until May 15th.
2014 Aerospace Camp at Missouri S&T
July 15-17th for youth ages 10-13
The 2014 Aerospace Camp is an exciting, action packed three day camp which will focus on what it takes to become an astronaut.
If you or someone you know is a grandparent, aunt or uncle raising children, then the Northland Grandfamilies (PDF) program may be of interest to you. Meet with others like you in general monthly support group meetings.