MOCAN consists of a Steering Committee and seven Work Groups:
- Food Systems
- Physical Activity
- Schools/Child Care
Additional interest groups may be convened as needed, e.g. membership,
funding, evaluation, etc.
In addition to general membership roles and responsibilities, Work Group
- Identify two individuals to serve as members of the Steering
- Attend the meetings of MoCAN and Work Groups, and meet as needed
between large group meetings.
- Assure Work Group representation at each MoCAN and Steering Committee
- Join the appropriate Work Group List Serve.
- Identify, recruit and retain additional members.
- Contribute relevant data and other information, e.g., new research
or information for evaluation activities.
- Provide monthly and annual updates to the Steering Committee.
- Provide technical assistance to MoCAN members.
- Assist with the revision of the Burden of Overweight and Obesity
document and the Plan as necessary.
- Address specific time-sensitive needs.
- Complete the activities of their respective Work Groups, collaboratively,
as determined by the members.
- Utilizing the Plan goals and objectives as a framework, gather and
maintain an inventory of member agencies and their activities, and catalogue
how they relate to the Plan.
- Initiate and facilitate member discussions regarding issues that
require action from their individual Work Groups. Examples include:
pending legislation that may affect school wellness programs or policies,
or MoCAN as a whole, e.g., legislation and policy issues that cut across
all disciplines, e.g., those that would apply to all health promotion
and chronic diseases, and may be better addressed through an interagency
- Actively participate in all of the meetings of MoCAN and their Work
- Undertake other responsibilities as identified.