The purpose of the Healthcare Work Group is to increase support for health care professionals and health care systems to promote physical activity and nutrition habits that prevent and control obesity and obesity-related chronic disease in Missouri children and adults. We aim to accomplish this purpose through the following strategies:
- Enhance prevention and treatment of overweight and obesity through improved healthcare professional knowledge, skills and practices.
- Sponsor an award annually to both a health care professional and pre-professional displaying outstanding advocacy work in the area of prevention or treatment of obesity.
For more information, please see the Work Plan (docx)
2015 MoCAN Healthcare Award Recipient:
Kris Drake, Wellness Coordinator for Freeman Health System, has been awarded the 4th Annual Healthcare Professional Award: Excellence in Connecting Health to the Community. Watch the Healthy Living Award video to learn more about the work Kris is doing to promote healthy living for Freeman employees.
- 2014 Healthy Award Recipient – Dr. Sarah Gordon, Central Missouri We Can! program
- 2013 Healthy Award Recipient – Theresa Reynolds, Wilderness Adventure Buddies program
CDC releases new resources for hospitals to create healthier environments
To support the creation of healthier hospital environments, CDC has released two new online resources for hospital administrators, nutritionists, human resources and employee health staff, and other interested supporters.
- A Step-by-Step Guide: Using the Healthy Hospital Food, Beverage, and Physical Activity Environments Scans
- Creating Healthier Hospital Food, Beverage, and Physical Activity Environments: Forming Teams, Engaging Stakeholders, Conducting Assessments and Evaluations
A new clinical practice guideline for the treatment of obesity in adults has been released by The Obesity Society, American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology. The new guideline can be viewed and downloaded for free: 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS Guideline for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults
A summary of the recommendations can be found on pages 15-24 of the document.
Healthcare Provider Tool Kits have been created by MoCAN Healthcare work group members to assist healthcare professionals in caring for overweight and obese patients. For more information, refer to the toolkits ad.
These tool kits are available to download from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services website:
- Child/Adolescent Tool Kit
Adult Tool Kit
- Free copies of the Adult Tool Kit can also be ordered — ordering instructions can be found on the ad listed above.
Want to know more about the Farm to Institution movement and understand what a Livable Street is? See our healthcare professional tip sheets:
Need a community resource guide for your patients? See our resource guide template to create a customizable resource guide for your practice.