Monday, April 13, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo.– Dean Volenberg is a new viticulture and winery operations specialist for University of Missouri Extension.
Media available: photo
Monday, March 2, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo.– Selling timber can be very profitable. While it depends on the quality of the timber, prices are higher than they’ve ever been.
Tuesday, February 17, 2015QUEEN CITY, Mo. – Your farmer husband dies or divorces you. Or you and your siblings inherit the family farm. You join the ranks of the country’s 1 million lady landowners.
Media available: photo; video
Friday, January 9, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo.– Low property tax rates—a third of the national average—play a hand in keeping Missouri land values stable, says University of Missouri Extension economist Joe Parcell.
Wednesday, December 10, 2014KIRKSVILLE, Mo.– Farmland prices have likely peaked, but expect cattle prices to continue upward.
Media available: photo
Wednesday, November 5, 2014PURDY, Mo.– Dairy farmer Charles Fletcher is a musician at heart. Since switching from a traditional dairy system to pasture-based rotational grazing 17 years ago, he has expanded his operation, increased his bottom line and has more time to make music, playing harmonica with a local bluegrass group called Ozark Mountain Revival.
Media available: video
Thursday, October 16, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– When farmers choose one of the 2014 farm bill’s safety-net programs this winter, they are locked in for the next four years. A new online tool can help them evaluate which program is best for them.
Media available: video
Tuesday, September 2, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– Crop prices have fallen sharply while livestock prices have reached record levels in 2014. Next year could see some moderation in livestock prices and continued low crop prices.
Monday, July 21, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– The situation for cattle producers is outstanding. That was the message University of Missouri Extension agricultural economist Ron Plain delivered during the 2014 Summer AgMarketing Outlook Conference.
Monday, July 21, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– The supply of corn is outracing the demand.
Wednesday, June 18, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.–Is pasture insurance right for your farm? The answer could be yes, no or maybe.
Wednesday, June 11, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– Hog prices in 2014 have been higher than any previous time.
Friday, August 3, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo. – Farmers are reporting that in spite of prolonged drought and hot temperatures their soybean plants appear amazingly green for this time of year.
Thursday, November 10, 2011COLUMBIA, Mo. – Americans eat 5.6 billion pounds of turkey each year, and all those Thanksgiving meals and other turkey dinners add up to a mountain of feed for fattening out those birds.
Media available: photos; video
Browse these University of Missouri websites:
You may be interested in these external websites:
- EC936, Getting Started in Farming: Mostly on Your Own
- EC937, Getting Started in Farming: Part-Time or Small Farms
- EC938, Getting Started in Farming Via the Home Farm
- EC939, Getting Started in Farming: So You Have Inherited a Farm
- EQ378, Selecting a Site for Livestock and Poultry Operations
- G302, 2012 Custom Rates for Farm Services in Missouri
- G361, Securing Manure Spreading Rights Through Easements
- G403, Farm Land Values for Missouri Counties
- G642, Establishing the Transfer Price: Balancing Businesses
- G648, Break-even Pricing, Revenue and Units
- G649, Selecting an Appropriate Pricing Strategy
- G700, Hiring and Managing Farm Labor
- G820, Does the Family Farm Really Matter?
- G901, Basics of Missouri Agricultural Cooperatives
- G902, Member Control of Cooperatives: What It Means and How It Is Exercised
- G3661, Artisan Cheeses in Missouri: Retail Grocers' Perceptions
- G3662, Artisan Cheeses in Missouri: Consumer Buying Habits and Preferences
- MP910, Resources and Services for Minority Farmers and Ranchers
- NCR56, Long Term Land Installment Contracts
- NCR233, Planning and Managing Your Farm Business Center
- NCR329, Farm Personnel Management
- NCR568, Alternative Financial/Organizational Structures of Farm and Agribusiness Firms
- NCR610A, Developing a Longer Range Strategic Farm Business Plan: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610B, Managing the Overall Business: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610C, Managing Production and Marketing Systems: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610D, Acquiring and Managing Resources for the Farm: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610E, Getting Established in Farming: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610F, Planning the Late-career, Retirement-mode Years: Business Management for Farmers
- NRAES32, Farming Alternatives: A Guide for Evaluating the Feasibility of New Farm-Based Enterprises
- NRAES164, Enhancing Profitability in Greenhouse Firms
- SX1009, How to Conduct Research on Your Farm or Ranch
- SX1014, Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses
- WQ218, Record Keeping for Manure Land Application
You may be interested in these related publications:
- AF1013, Succession Planning for Woodland Owners
- CB1, Agriculture Guide Book
- CB3, Binder of MU Agricultural Guides G100 - G1999
- EC705, Our Valuable Papers
- EC946, Your Balance Sheet: Most Important Farm Financial Management Tool
- G451, Liability of Farm Employers
- G453, Farmers Liability for Their Animals
- G508, Delayed Payment of Federal Estate Taxes
- G511, Legal Aspects of Farm Partnerships
- G520, Verbal Farm Rental Agreements Under Missouri Law
- G600, Crop Marketing Plan
- G601, Agricultural Commodity Futures Contract Specifications
- G602, Introduction to Hedging Agricultural Commodities With Futures
- G603, Introduction to Hedging Agricultural Commodities With Options
- G604, Commodity Futures Terminology
- G605, Interpreting Commodity Futures and Options Price Quotes
- G606, An Introduction to Basis
- G607, Long Hedge Example With Futures
- G608, Short Hedge Example With Futures
- G609, Long Hedge Example With Options
- G610, Short Hedge Example With Options
- G611, Using Commodity Futures as a Price Forecasting Tool
- G740, Maintaining Woodland Tax Records
- G903, How Agricultural Cooperatives Are Taxed
- G1005, Selecting and Working With a Farm Building Contractor
- G1208, Fuel Requirement Estimates for Selected Field Operations
- G3651, How to Compute Your Cost of Producing Milk
- G6222, Selling Strategies for Local Food Producers
- G6223, Starting and Operating a Farmers Market: Frequently Asked Questions
- G6228, Farmers Markets and Social Media: Promotional Media Use by Missouri Farmers Market Organizers
- G6229, Using Social Media to Learn About Consumer Needs and Preferences
- G9420, Landowners' Guide to Lease Hunting in Missouri
- GH6830, Negotiation Skills
- M157, Missouri Grazing Manual
- M168, Dairy Grazing Manual
- M191, Dairy Grazing: Keys to Building a Profitable Pasture-Based Dairy
- M192, Dairy Grazing: Economics of Pasture-Based Dairies
- M193, Dairy Grazing: Dairy Career Paths
- MM102, Missouri Swine Enterprise Manual CD
- MX394, Choosing an Organizational Structure for Your Aquaculture Business
- NCR2, Income Tax Management for Farmers
- NRAES51, Produce Handling for Direct Marketing
- SX1011, Marketing Strategies for Farmers and Ranchers
- SX1012, Profitable Pork: Alternative Strategies for Hog Producers
- SX1013, Profitable Poultry: Raising Birds on Pasture