Tuesday, August 26, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – University of Missouri Extension and the AgrAbility Project are reaching out to returning veterans who have an interest in farming.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014LINNEUS, Mo. – University of Missouri Extension’s upcoming Farm Lease Program helps landowners and renters make decisions about renting farm ground.
Wednesday, August 6, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – AgDay and U.S. Farm Report’s Tyne Morgan will be the keynote speaker at the second annual Pearls of Production: Women in Agriculture workshop, Nov. 7-8.
Media available: photo
Friday, July 25, 2014KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Rebuilding a beef cow herd to capture record-setting high prices is more than saving heifers to breed.
Thursday, July 24, 2014CAMDENTON, Mo. – The 10th anniversary of a popular University of Missouri agriculture business class for women will be celebrated during a two-day conference at Windermere Conference Center at the Lake of the Ozarks, Sept. 19-20.
Wednesday, July 23, 2014KANSAS CITY, Mo. – “With record high beef prices, about anything works,” said Scott Brown, University of Missouri economist. “It’s hard to make a bad decision.”
Monday, July 21, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– The situation for cattle producers is outstanding. That was the message University of Missouri Extension agricultural economist Ron Plain delivered during the 2014 Summer AgMarketing Outlook Conference.
Monday, July 21, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– The supply of corn is outracing the demand.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – Selecting breeding animals on how they look, by phenotype, worked for centuries. Progress in improving cattle was made just on appearance.
Thursday, July 3, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – The University of Missouri Extension and the USDA’s Risk Management Agency (RMA) will offer four free livestock risk management programs across the state this summer.
Monday, June 23, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.–Water temperatures in the tropical Pacific can end up having a lot to do with the price of corn in Missouri, thanks to El Nino and La Nina, says a University of Missouri atmospheric scientist.
Media available: video
Wednesday, June 18, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.–Is pasture insurance right for your farm? The answer could be yes, no or maybe.
Wednesday, June 11, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– Hog prices in 2014 have been higher than any previous time.
Monday, May 5, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– Farmers may want to renegotiate cash rental rates on cropland, especially agreements that were negotiated in the past few years.
Thursday, April 17, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo.– Removing value-added cuts of beef from the chuck increases profits for producers while offering consumers lower-cost, high-quality steaks. The meat that is left over is usually sold as ground chuck. Does removing those value cuts affect the quality of the ground beef?
Media available: photos
Wednesday, March 19, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – Expect volatility in the soybean and corn markets over the next five years, said Pat Westhoff, director of the University of Missouri Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (MU FAPRI).
Wednesday, March 5, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – When milk producers first hear of the Margin Protection Program for Dairy Producers, they become confused about the new farm bill safety net.
Thursday, January 30, 2014COLUMBIA, Mo. – For centuries, farmers have braved the elements to walk their land to check for problems ranging from wind damage and calving cows to pests and predators.
Friday, November 8, 2013MEXICO, Mo. - Older farmers and young farmers strapped for capital are teaming up in increasing numbers to form livestock lease alliances.
Friday, August 3, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo. – Farmers are reporting that in spite of prolonged drought and hot temperatures their soybean plants appear amazingly green for this time of year.
Thursday, November 10, 2011COLUMBIA, Mo. – Americans eat 5.6 billion pounds of turkey each year, and all those Thanksgiving meals and other turkey dinners add up to a mountain of feed for fattening out those birds.
Media available: photos; video
Browse these University of Missouri websites:
You may be interested in these external websites:
- EC936, Getting Started in Farming: Mostly on Your Own
- EC937, Getting Started in Farming: Part-Time or Small Farms
- EC938, Getting Started in Farming Via the Home Farm
- EC939, Getting Started in Farming: So You Have Inherited a Farm
- EQ378, Selecting a Site for Livestock and Poultry Operations
- G302, 2012 Custom Rates for Farm Services in Missouri
- G361, Securing Manure Spreading Rights Through Easements
- G403, Farm Land Values for Missouri Counties
- G642, Establishing the Transfer Price: Balancing Businesses
- G648, Break-even Pricing, Revenue and Units
- G649, Selecting an Appropriate Pricing Strategy
- G700, Hiring and Managing Farm Labor
- G820, Does the Family Farm Really Matter?
- G901, Basics of Missouri Agricultural Cooperatives
- G902, Member Control of Cooperatives: What It Means and How It Is Exercised
- G3661, Artisan Cheeses in Missouri: Retail Grocers' Perceptions
- G3662, Artisan Cheeses in Missouri: Consumer Buying Habits and Preferences
- MP910, Resources and Services for Minority Farmers and Ranchers
- NCR56, Long Term Land Installment Contracts
- NCR233, Planning and Managing Your Farm Business Center
- NCR329, Farm Personnel Management
- NCR568, Alternative Financial/Organizational Structures of Farm and Agribusiness Firms
- NCR610A, Developing a Longer Range Strategic Farm Business Plan: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610B, Managing the Overall Business: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610C, Managing Production and Marketing Systems: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610D, Acquiring and Managing Resources for the Farm: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610E, Getting Established in Farming: Business Management for Farmers
- NCR610F, Planning the Late-career, Retirement-mode Years: Business Management for Farmers
- NRAES32, Farming Alternatives: A Guide for Evaluating the Feasibility of New Farm-Based Enterprises
- NRAES164, Enhancing Profitability in Greenhouse Firms
- SX1009, How to Conduct Research on Your Farm or Ranch
- SX1014, Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses
- WQ218, Record Keeping for Manure Land Application
You may be interested in these related publications:
- AF1013, Succession Planning for Woodland Owners
- CB1, Agriculture Guide Book
- CB3, Binder of MU Agricultural Guides G100 - G1999
- EC705, Our Valuable Papers
- EC946, Your Balance Sheet: Most Important Farm Financial Management Tool
- G451, Liability of Farm Employers
- G453, Farmers Liability for Their Animals
- G508, Delayed Payment of Federal Estate Taxes
- G511, Legal Aspects of Farm Partnerships
- G520, Verbal Farm Rental Agreements Under Missouri Law
- G600, Crop Marketing Plan
- G601, Agricultural Commodity Futures Contract Specifications
- G602, Introduction to Hedging Agricultural Commodities With Futures
- G603, Introduction to Hedging Agricultural Commodities With Options
- G604, Commodity Futures Terminology
- G605, Interpreting Commodity Futures and Options Price Quotes
- G606, An Introduction to Basis
- G607, Long Hedge Example With Futures
- G608, Short Hedge Example With Futures
- G609, Long Hedge Example With Options
- G610, Short Hedge Example With Options
- G611, Using Commodity Futures as a Price Forecasting Tool
- G740, Maintaining Woodland Tax Records
- G903, How Agricultural Cooperatives Are Taxed
- G1005, Selecting and Working With a Farm Building Contractor
- G1208, Fuel Requirement Estimates for Selected Field Operations
- G3651, How to Compute Your Cost of Producing Milk
- G6222, Selling Strategies for Local Food Producers
- G6223, Starting and Operating a Farmers' Market: Frequently Asked Questions
- G6228, Farmers Markets and Social Media: Promotional Media Use by Missouri Farmers Market Organizers
- G6229, Using Social Media to Learn About Consumer Needs and Preferences
- G9420, Landowners' Guide to Lease Hunting in Missouri
- GH6830, Negotiation Skills
- M157, Missouri Grazing Manual
- M168, Dairy Grazing Manual
- M191, Dairy Grazing: Keys to Building a Profitable Pasture-Based Dairy
- M192, Dairy Grazing: Economics of Pasture-Based Dairies
- M193, Dairy Grazing: Dairy Career Paths
- MM102, Missouri Swine Enterprise Manual CD
- MX394, Choosing an Organizational Structure for Your Aquaculture Business
- NCR2, Income Tax Management for Farmers
- NRAES51, Produce Handling for Direct Marketing
- SX1011, Marketing Strategies for Farmers and Ranchers
- SX1012, Profitable Pork: Alternative Strategies for Hog Producers
- SX1013, Profitable Poultry: Raising Birds on Pasture