Monday, February 1, 2016COLUMBIA, Mo. – The growing number of Americans opting for butter over margarine and other oils has given the U.S. dairy industry a much-needed boost.
Friday, January 29, 2016COLUMBIA, Mo. – Missouri Dairy Profit Seminars cover three major topics: health, nutrition and reproduction. “The three affect profits,” says Joe Horner, University of Missouri Extension dairy economist.
Friday, December 11, 2015ROLLA, Mo. – With feeder-calf prices still falling, beef producers can protect current prices on their calves. But they won’t make as much money as they could have if they had sold futures contracts back in the summer.
Thursday, December 10, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo. – The price of eggs, which this year hit an all-time high of nearly $4 per dozen, is coming down as poultry producers rebound from a devastating outbreak of avian flu.
Media available: photo; video
Tuesday, December 1, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo. – A new online tool can help landowners and land managers better understand their land.
Thursday, October 15, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo. – When corn was $7 a bushel, a lot of farmers converted pasture from grass to row crops. Now, with crop prices much lower and pasture values on the rise, many of those farmers are thinking about putting those acres back into grass.
Friday, July 17, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo. – Following two cases of avian influenza early this year, Missouri has been influenza-free. Other states have not been so lucky.
Tuesday, May 5, 2015COLUMBIA, Mo. – “Now is the time to kill toxic tall fescue,” says Craig Roberts, forage specialist.
Thursday, August 9, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo. – The livestock industry is taking a direct hit by this summer’s drought, and that will impact consumers’ wallets next year, says a University of Missouri agricultural economist.
Media available: video
Wednesday, August 8, 2012NOVELTY, Mo. – Zac Erwin stood by a drought-stunted field of Sudangrass as he talked to wagon-loads of field day visitors at the MU Greenley Research Center, Aug. 7.
Friday, August 3, 2012COLUMBIA – Soybeans that won’t make a seed crop offer potential high-quality forage for beef and dairy producers. The decision to cut beans for hay won’t be easy, say University of Missouri Extension specialists.
Friday, August 3, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo. – Farmers are reporting that in spite of prolonged drought and hot temperatures their soybean plants appear amazingly green for this time of year.
Thursday, August 2, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo – Some heat-stressed cows are delivering premature calves, ahead of normal fall-calving season.
Thursday, November 10, 2011COLUMBIA, Mo. – Americans eat 5.6 billion pounds of turkey each year, and all those Thanksgiving meals and other turkey dinners add up to a mountain of feed for fattening out those birds.
Media available: photos; video
Thursday, August 12, 2010LINNEUS & NOVELTY, Mo. – Byproduct feeds from ethanol plants offer beef herd owners a way to supplement bad hay being baled for winter feed this year.
Browse these University of Missouri websites:
You may be interested in these external websites:
You may be interested in these related publications:
- AGW1009, Weather-Related Sales of Livestock
- CB1, Agriculture Guide Book
- CB4, Binder of MU Agricultural Guides G2000 - G5999
- EQ378, Selecting a Site for Livestock and Poultry Operations
- EQ381, Water Quality for Livestock Drinking
- EQ387, Anaerobic Lagoons for Storage/Treatment of Livestock Manure
- EQ388, Earthen Pits (Basins) for Liquid Livestock Manure
- EQ389, Storage Tanks for Liquid Livestock Manure
- EV12, Management Intensive Grazing Video Series
- G1004, Buying a Packaged Farm Building
- G1170, Proper Infrared Heat Lamp Use for Efficient Livestock Production
- G1884, Odors From Livestock Operations: Causes and Possible Cures
- G1931, Animal Handling Safety Considerations
- MWPS18, Livestock Waste Facilities Handbook
- MWPS18s1, Manure Characteristics: Manure Management Systems Series
- MWPS18s2, Manure Storages: Manure Management Systems Series
- MWPS18s3, Outdoor Air Quality: Manure Management Systems Series
- MWPS23, Solar Livestock Housing Handbook
- N1306, Meat Product Labeling and Marketing Fact Sheet: What Do All Those Words Really Mean? Fact Sheet
You may be interested in these external publications: