The Master Gardeners of Johnson County Missouri are trained individuals who enjoy learning and sharing their expertise with others. Our gardening backgrounds range from hobbyist to professional, from beginner to experienced, from young adult to senior citizen. The common bond is a love of gardening, learning and sharing.
We are involved in a diverse collection of community projects and one-on-one consultations such as
- Johnson County Historical Courthouse Square, Warrensburg
- Blind Boone Park, Warrensburg
- Community Rose Garden, Warrensburg
- Lions Lake Micro Garden, Warrensburg
- Vest Drive Garden, Warrensburg
- Highway 50/Business 50 intersection garden, Warrensburg
- Trails Regional Library planters, Warrensburg
- Turkey Foot Prairie, Warrensburg
- Powell Gardens, Kingsville
- Ronald McDonald House, Kansas City, MO
- Monthly gardening articles in the Warrensburg Daily Star Journal
- Personal gardening consultations
- Gardening presentations to organizations
- Youth and senior citizen gardening projects
After training, Master Gardeners serve as a resource with University of Missouri Extension to give county residents research-based answers to their gardening questions. The primary purpose of a Master Gardener is to volunteer, but members rate camaraderie and learning opportunities as important reasons for participating.
To become a Master Gardener, call the Johnson County Extension Office at 660-747-3193 for details on upcoming training.
Bylaws Master Gardeners of Johnson County Missouri (DOC)
Come and Join us!
We meet at 6:15 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of each month (exceptions: third Thursday in November and no meeting in December) at the Grover Park Baptist Church Family Life Center, 409 N. Mitchell, Warrensburg. The meeting is open to all Master Gardeners. Meetings usually adjourn around 8:30 p.m. Please contact the Extension office about information on joining.
Upcoming Events for 2016
The following events provide the funds necessary to support our community gardening projects, UCM Horticulture Scholarship and monetary donations to other community organizations’ horticulture related endeavors.
- May 21, 2016 Spring Plant & Garden Decor Sale at Blind Boone Park, Warrensburg, 9 a.m.- 1p.m.
- June 11, 2016 Master Gardeners’ Garden Tour & Mid-Missouri Artists’ Artwork Sale, Warrensburg, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tickets $5. Click here for more information.
- September 24, 2016 Fall Plant Sale, Market Street, downtown Warrensburg, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Accomplishments of 2015
- Master Gardener Core Class - Feb. 3-May 5, 2015 – 24 Trainees graduated. One Trainee received a $130 Master Gardener Memorial Scholarship for the best essay entitled “What Volunteerism in My Community Means to Me”. This scholarship began in 2010 to honor our deceased Master Gardener members by encouraging others to become Master Gardeners.
- Spring Plant Sale – May 16, 2015
- Garden Tour – June 13, 2015
- Visit to Central Missouri Master Gardeners Demonstration Gardens/Greenhouse & Missouri Wildflowers Nursery in Jefferson City, MO – June 27, 2015
- University of Central Missouri Annual $500 Horticulture Scholarship awarded to a UCM horticulture major making this our fifth annual award
- Fall Plant Sale – September 26, 2015
- Project garden costs - $545
- Turkey Foot Prairie donation - $100
- Johnson County Historical Society donation - $250
- TOTAL VOLUNTEERS HOURS FOR 2015: 3,677
Monthly Meeting Educational Programs of 2015
- Trees to Plant and Not to Plant, Warrensburg Tree Board
- Language of Flowers, Master Gardener Carol Loveall
- McBryde and Allerton Gardens, National Tropical Botanical Garden on Kauai, Master Gardeners Mary & Fred Worman
- Growing Daylilies, MO-KAN Daylily Society
- Missouri Prairie & Native Wildflowers by Vern Elsberry, Citizens for Environmental Action
- Tour of Master Gardener David Young’s native landscape garden at his home in Windsor
- Quality Garden Tool Selection and Care, Connie McBay
- Propagation and Care of African Violets, Show-Me African Violets Society
- Herbal Cultivation and Uses, Greater KC Herb Study Group
Garden Corner is a monthly column written by Master Gardener Art Kammerlohr
May 2016 (PDF)
September 2015 (PDF)
August 2015 (PDF)
July 2015 (PDF)
June 2015 (PDF)
March 2015 (PDF)
February 2015 (PDF)
January 2015 (PDF)
November 2014 (PDF)
October 2014 (PDF)
September 2014 (PDF)
August 2014 (PDF)
June 2014 (PDF)
May 2014 (PDF)
April 2014 (PDF)
March 2014 (PDF)
February 2014 (PDF)
January 2014 (PDF)
December 2013 (PDF)
November 2013 (PDF)
October 2013 (PDF)