Click here to view present & past Farm Families of Howard County (PDF)
Each year, Howard County Extension selects a local farm family as the Farm Family of the Year to represent Howard County at the Missouri State Fair. The farm family chosen should meet the following criteria:
- Be actively engaged in agricultural activities and rely on University of Missouri Extension and the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources for their programming and technical assistance
- Be active supporters and cooperators with the University of Missouri Extension
- Take an active leadership role within their community
- Have at least one child actively involved in 4-H, FFA or any other youth organizations
- Be respected by their neighbors and their community
- Are interested in participating in and agree to represent their county at the Missouri State Fair
The 2013 Farm Family
Local residents chosen as State Fair Farm Family for Howard County
Fayette, MO, Steve & Dawn Shipp and family of Franklin, MO were among the 108 families honored during the Missouri State Fair’s Farm Family Day on August 12.
The Shipp’s were selected as the Howard County Missouri State Fair Farm Family by the Howard County Extension Council and local Farm Bureau. The family includes Ethan & Kyler.
Each year, the fair sets aside a day to recognize farm families from across the state who are active in their community, involved in agriculture and participate in local outreach and extension programs such as 4-H and FFA.
The Shipp farm in Franklin, MO they have a cattle operation.
The annual event was sponsored by the Missouri Department of Agriculture, the Missouri Farm Bureau, the Missouri State Fair, the University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, and University of Missouri Extension.