St. Charles, St. Louis and Franklin Counties
A training program to help you discover the natural Missouri and develop your skills as a volunteer naturalist, scientist, botanist, educator or recreation specialist. You will gain a wealth of natural science information in classes given by some of Missouri's finest natural resource specialists and build new friendships with other volunteers who share a love of Missouri's outdoors. Master Naturalists become part of a local chapter that volunteers to conserve Missouri's natural communities by:
- Helping survey plants and animals.
- Restoring landscapes to their natural splendor.
- Developing hands-on nature programs or new trails and educational sites.
- Building new trails and educational sites.
After the training, you will be recognized as a Master Naturalist intern, and receive a certificate and badge. You will join one of the three local chapters listed below. The Master Naturalist chapter becomes a resource for the community by providing knowledge and expertise for a variety of natural resource needs.
You achieve the status of full Master Naturalist by completing 40 hours of volunteer service in approved projects and activities along with an additional eight hours of advanced education. Plenty of volunteer and advanced training opportunities are available throughout the year.
- Prerequisite required: Prior to attending the first training class you must attend one of the three St. Louis Area Master Naturalist Chapter Meetings in May or June. The dates and locations will be listed on the registration link. The purpose is to meet existing members and gain a deeper understating of the volunteer program you will be joining.
- Background checks: Before you register you should understand that all participants will be required to undergo background checks. This requirement has been established due to the volunteer nature of this program and that some volunteer service could possibly include activities with children and youth. Even though you may have undergone previous background checks, you will be required to undergo the Master Naturalist background check to participate in this program.
- Sponsoring organizations: University of Missouri Extension and Missouri Department of Conservation
- Additional partners: Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Shaw Nature Reserve, and Forest Park Forever
Rich Hoormann, University of Missouri Extension, St Charles County
636-970-3000 – email@example.com
Colleen Scott, Missouri Department of Conservation, Busch Wildlife and Columbia Bottom
314-877-6014, ext. 4241 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Nathan Brandt, University of Missouri Extension, St. Louis County
314-400-7388 – email@example.com
Amy Wilkinson, Missouri Department of Conservation, Forest Park and Rockwoods
314-877-1309 x 1987 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Matt Herring, University of Missouri Extension, Franklin County
636-583-5141 – email@example.com
Sam Faith, Missouri Department of Conservation, Shaw Nature Reserve
636-451-3512 x6031 - firstname.lastname@example.org