Focus on Kids
Focus on Kids is a research-based educational program for divorcing and separating parents and parents dealing with custody issues. It is based on the latest evidence about successful co-parenting and helping children adjust to separation and divorce. Franklin County MU Extension is contracted by the 20th Judicial Circuit court to provide the program to meet Missouri's parent education requirement for parents in cases involving separation or divorce.
The overall goal of the program is to help parents facilitate their children’s adjustment to divorce/separation. More specifically, five research-based objectives underlie the Focus on Kids program curriculum:
- To encourage ex-partners to resolve conflicts pertaining to their children directly with each other and without putting children in the middle of their disputes;
- To encourage both parents to remain actively involved in the lives of their children following divorce/separation (within limits);
- To provide concrete suggestions of helpful parental behaviors and how to avoid potentially unhealthy parental behaviors;
- To provide information on how divorce affects children’s socioemotional adjustment, with some attention to the differing effects on children of various ages; and
- To provide information on self-help organizations, self-help groups, human service agencies, and other organizations that may be helpful to children and parents as they attempt to adjust to the process of divorce.
Registration is required for each parent. Walk-ins are not accepted. The $40 per person fee is required 24 hours prior to the class, and is payable by cash, check or money order to Franklin County Extension Council.If payment is not received, you will not be allowed to attend class. Parents must attend on separate dates. To register, call the extension office in Franklin County at 636-583-5141. You must provide your case number, name, address, and telephone number. Classes are offered three times each month. Please visit www.missourifamilies.org/fok.for the 2016 Parenting Class Schedule.
If you should need to reschedule, call the Franklin County Extension office at 636-583-5141. Fees will be forfeited if you do the attend the class or do not call to cancel the class. You will be required to pay the fee again in order to schedule another class.
- Childcare is not provided so children are not allowed to attend.
- Sign-in and sign-out is required. Plan to arrive 10 minutes early and to stay for the entire 2.5 hour session.
- Two Certificates of completion will be provided at the end of the program. You MUST send one copy of the certificate of participation to the court and keep one copy for your records.