||FNEP NPA Core Competencies and Knowledge/Skill-Based Training
Understand the Organization
Understand and Respect
Achieve Excellence in
Conduct Program Evaluation
Maintain Accurate Records and Reports
Maintain Effective Internal and External Partnerships
Know community demographics, resources, needs and issues.
- Build and maintain effective partnerships with other Extension
programs and community agencies.
- Respect the missions of partnering agencies.
- Understand and follow program memoranda of understanding and/or
- Communicate regularly with partnering agencies to coordinate
- Respond to agency referrals in a timely manner and report follow-up
with the person/agency that made the referral.
- Refer participants to the Food Stamp Program, Extension
programs and other appropriate community resources.
- Strengthen programming by involving volunteers, where appropriate. Participate in
the research mission of the University as approved by supervisor.
Communicate Program Value
Demonstrate Technology Literacy
Demonstrate Personal Accountability
- Balance multiple responsibilities
including teaching, recruiting, recordkeeping and reporting.
- Communicate concerns and issues to supervisor
in a timely manner (sickness, leave requests, change of schedules, accidents,
and conflicts with agencies, participants, co-workers).
- Practice positive work ethics (loyalty, honesty, integrity, perseverance).
- Demonstrate an understanding of job responsibilities and boundaries.
- Use good judgment about health and
personal safety at work.
- Dress appropriately (as defined by state FNEP guidelines)
and practice good hygiene.
- Meet scheduled commitments; arrive
prepared and on time; cancel appointments only when absolutely
- Model positive nutrition, health
and food safety behaviors.
- Maintain reliable transportation.
- Organize and maintain teaching
materials, supplies and equipment.
- Use time and travel resources
- Participate actively in staff development/training.
- Develop a personal staff
development plan including setting goals to improve work performance
in conjunction with supervisor.
- Use technology and program
equipment/materials appropriately and for work purposes only.
- Work independently with
- Maintain confidentiality of
participant and program information (appropriately file, transport
and store records).
- Comply with state laws regarding reporting criminal
activity (copyright laws, reporting child abuse, and issues related to court
Adapted from FSNE Core Competencies – CES/Land-Grant
University System, January 2006; MO workgroup: Ellen Schuster, Julie Royse,
Terry Egan, Cathy McCallum, Damaris Karanja and Alison Copeland and “Objectives
FNEP Staff Orientation”