for Effective County Councils
In accordance with the Revised Statutes of Missouri, county extension councils are comprised of elected and appointed members, who represent the broad educational needs and backgrounds of people residing in the county. Any citizen who is of voting age may be nominated for the office of county extension council member. This module will help county extension councils
- comply with state statutes regarding the membership eligibility and the election process
- identify potential candidates to be nominated
- develop a consistent message when talking with potential candidates
Module 4, Mastering the Nuts and Bolts of Council Elections, provides information on conducting annual council membership elections.
County Council Recruitment and
Nomination Brochure (revised 2007)
Download .pub: An Invitation for You to Participate: University of Missouri Extension council members make a positive difference in our communities (MS Publisher file)
- Recruiting Candidates for Effective County Councils (Council Handout) - Explains state statutes and offers strategies for recruiting candidates with diverse backgrounds.
- Timeline for County Extension Council Recruitment and Elections - A guide to meeting deadlines and other statutory requirements
- Council Candidate Worksheet - Helps extension councils identify affiliations and skills of potential candidates.
- Talking Points for Recruiting Effective Council Members - Outlines key messages to share with potential council members.
- News Release Template - Formatted Word file that serves as a basis for developing a local news release on council candidate recruitment. Word file
- Be an Educational Leader - Customizable promotional flyer for recruiting candidates. Download .ppt (Requires MS Publisher)
- Consent to Be Nominated - Optional form to verify nominees' approval to include name on ballot. Download .doc
- Trainer Notes and Council Activity - Hands-on activity to identify potential candidates for the council. Includes are tips for presenters and a PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes.
- Revised Statutes of Missouri
- Missouri Social and Economic Demographics County Fact Sheets
- County Extension Council Member Position Description (.pdf)
- Council Member Responsibilities and Relationships
- Mastering the Nuts and Bolts of Council Elections
(Right click on link; choose
Curriculum package (.pdf)
includes handout, timeline, talking points, news release, trainer notes, activity instructions and worksheet
News Release (.doc)
Consent to Be Nominated Form (.doc)
To print Speaker Notes, select "Notes Pages" under "Print What:" in print menu.
County Council Coordinator