Mastering the Nuts
of Council Elections
Council members are elected and appointed public officials. The Revised Statutes of Missouri require county extension councils to organize and conduct an election of membership each January. All citizens of voting age are eligible to vote in the election. This module will:
- Help extension councils comply with state statutes regarding election of members.
- Provide suggested processes for conducting the election to provide all eligible voters the opportunity to participate.
- Assist in publicizing the election to all citizens.
Module 3, Recruiting Candidates for Effective County Councils, addresses the process of soliciting nominations and approaching potential candidates.
- Mastering the Nuts and Bolts
of Council Elections (Council
Explains state statutes, and offers strategies for conducting participatory elections and maintaining election integrity.
- Timeline for County Extension
Council Recruitment and Elections
A guide to meeting deadlines and other statutory requirements
- Sample Notice of Nominees
Provides language and format for publishing public notice of nominees as required by state statutes.
- Trainer notes and council
Hands-on activity to ensure council election processes are in compliance with state statutes. Includes tips for presenters and a PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes.
- Revised Statutes of Missouri
- Recruiting Candidates for Effective County Councils
- Council Member Roles and Responsibilities (.pdf)
(Right click on link; choose
Curriculum package (.pdf)
includes handout, sample notice, trainer notes and activity instructions
Mastering the Nuts and Bolts of Council Elections
To print Speaker Notes, select "Notes Pages" under "Print What:" in print menu
Public Notice of Nominees (.doc)
County Council Coordinator