Lori Rupp, Dorinda Dameron and Todd Norton, Randolph County EXCEL participants, enjoy the challenge course at Camp Windermere in Roach, Mo.
What participants are saying about EXCEL:
More than 7,500 people representing approximately 60 towns throughout Missouri have participated in 40 locally based, EXCEL-type leadership development programs. Some of those associated with the various programs gave their views on EXCEL's effectiveness:
- "The county fair was reborn and is phenomenal now. Many fair board members were EXCEL participants."
- "The local United Way now raises three times as many funds as three years ago. Most members of their board are graduates. The board seems better organized, more focused, and makes better use of resources."
- "A campaign for passing a school levy was directed primarily by past participants of the program."
- "At least a couple of big projects have been initiated by alumni, such as raising $3 million for the YMCA."
- "Racial and ethnic barriers are being crossed."
- "Any project that goes on in the community has EXCEL participants involved. A pool of networkers who call on each other has been created."